BF3 Frametime + FPS for FireStorm (7950)

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
First I'd like to say some areas paused for a second for saves, I had the same thing happen with my 470s. I'd also like to say for the first half at least, my cursor felt like it was "stuttering" when I moved it left to right, annoying - I remember my 470s doing this in the opening area even with my i5, overclocked I was cpu limited at times which didn't do the frametimes justice as I blew up every car after the guy got sniped.

All that said, aside from the left to right stutter, which almost feels like some kind of mouse smoothing gone bad, I couldn't tell a difference in smoothness between this and my 470 (which used lower settings).

CPU: i3-540 @ 4.2GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR @ 9-10-9 1T 1840MHz
GPU: Stock 800/1250 (old school) - Overclocked 1200/1700

Game Settings: 1080p (I tired to get downsampling to work, could not after one attempt decided to hold off), Ultra everything, FXAA disabled, 4xMSAA, Blur on, and Highest AO.

8555720891_3068d80ae6_h.jpg

From my calculations based on the one sample :D ...

I saw a 44% gain in MIN fps, as well as a 41% gain in AVG, while being cpu limited in several areas with the OC.

This is the first time I really played around with my card, I've been bitmining since I got it but the girls told me it wasn't worth the time... I'm looking at basically a $100 a month less power (so less than $3 a day), so I might either stop and do more stock/oc frametime/fps tests in various games, or I might harvest 2 coins and never run a bitmine again.

Feb 19, 2009
Holy crap, you went to the Red side?? YOU of all ppl??

Shows how bad NV has been ripping off customers. :p

ps. Nice OC. 7950s are beastly with a few minutes of tweaking. Bitmining is nice as an upgrade towards a new card later for "free", or even in this case, another 7950 for CF. If you pay <10 cents kw/h, you'll be laughing.

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
It takes too long to make a bitcoin, one 7950 mining 24/7 while never gaming doesn't even make $3 a day cleared at the current bitcoin prices.

8556993392_9c4732ba48_b.jpg

If I'm at a point in my life where I need to choose between gaming, or making $3 a day, I'm going to go get a real job >.<

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
I bet he doesn't leave that dirty thing at home when he's working. He just uninstall it an leave it at the dog's house.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
It takes too long to make a bitcoin, one 7950 mining 24/7 while never gaming doesn't even make $3 a day cleared at the current bitcoin prices.

8556993392_9c4732ba48_b.jpg

If I'm at a point in my life where I need to choose between gaming, or making $3 a day, I'm going to go get a real job >.<

Mine at night when you're not using; my system mines during the day and when I'm asleep - no its not a huge amount to start off but I've mined 20ish coins with different hardware over the last year - god I wish I'd saved them and not used them to buy games at the time LOL....

30ish quid or almost 50 dollars a coin right now is hard to pass up :)

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
He obviously don't want his PC buzzing aside his bed in his sleep time.

No one would trade a quiet sleep for 3 bucks daily.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Mine's in the room I sleep in and it doesn't buzz ;) but true some people are sensitive to noise at night; myself I like a bit of background noise for sleep

Will Robinson

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2009

Well,at least now he doesn't have to sleep next to GTX470 SLI...that would be worth $6 bucks/day.^_^

Feb 19, 2009

Depends on the setup, mine is quite under max load. Twin fan coolers with big fans + good case airflow = great for 24/7 ops and quiet.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
I have to turn off the strip because I can't stand the static from stand-by 4 meters away.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

Thank goodness for watercooling quietness! :)

Balla, yeah you're getting into the mining a bit late. There are some ASICs mining I believe and the difficulty has skyrocketed lately along with prices, which means more people mining, which means further increases in difficulty. We need another crash to cut out some of the people from mining. It takes about five days now for me to make 0.5 BTC...before it was like 2 days.

Last edited:

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
How's the noise and temperature at load ?

Should be better, was better, then I tried a spread method for the first time with my last bit of Shin and it sucked :'(

Ordered some GELID Solutions GC-Extreme the other day, and BoFox is sending me his own personal IC Diamond 7 to compare the two. I'll post that later :thumbsup:

Here is what I got last night @ 1150

8557971688_d3f68761b1_b.jpg

I'm running 1C = 1% fan

Thank goodness for watercooling quietness! :)

Balla, yeah you're getting into the mining a bit late. There are some ASICs mining I believe and the difficulty has skyrocketed lately along with prices, which means more people mining, which means further increases in difficulty. We need another crash to cut out some of the people from mining. It takes about five days now for me to make 0.5 BTC...before it was like 2 days.

Well as one person was saying, it does mine outside our bedroom. I got the 4 seasons room, which is right off the master bedroom in our new house on the second floor. It's cold right now so heat isn't a problem I actually setup a fan because the sun warms the room better than any video card ever could so instead of opening the window to cool it I just blow it into the bedroom.

No water cooling for this new system :'( Maybe next time, but with a better TIM application and decent clocks it's gaming silent anyways, it's not even really that loud while mining. I can hear it in bed but it's not as loud as say a floor fan at medium in the same room.

I think my concerns with mining right now are these...

Volatile currency, I have no idea what the price per coin will be once I actually get two to sell..

Do I game or do I mine... I feel some pressure with the new ASICs already shipping, as well as the cheap ones reportedly coming out at the end of this month... 4.5 GH/S for $150

System wear, when you're overclocking and running something 24/7 overclocks tend to go down and voltage tends to go up.

If I can make 2 coins and sell them for around $100 then I'll be happy, that will make my total cost after MIR and selling the games closer to $150 for a 7950, which is awesome. I just get a lot of free time to game, like right now I could be gaming but instead I'm posting on a forum while mining o_O

Last edited:

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
System wear, when you're overclocking and running something 24/7 overclocks tend to go down and voltage tends to go up.
I got my card around April last year and it has been mining 24/7 since then. My 7950 is at 1100MHz @ 1.043v (set in Afterburner) and I have not had to change that voltage at all since I started mining. YMMV of course. Running higher voltage to begin with will probably lead to more degradation. My stock voltage was 1.037v so I'm still very close to stock.

If I can make 2 coins and sell them for around $100 then I'll be happy, that will make my total cost after MIR and selling the games closer to $150 for a 7950, which is awesome. I just get a lot of free time to game, like right now I could be gaming but instead I'm posting on a forum while mining o_O

Yeah I definitely have gamed less since I started mining in 2011. The upside is that I have paid for 2 6950s, 1 7950, and have made more than enough to pay for a GTX680 on top of paying off the other cards! It's been a good ride and I will ride it out until ASICs take over...I got my moneys worth from these cards, which is more than I can say from just about every other card I have owned (except for a nV 7900GTO which I sold for more than I bought it :) ).