BF3 & Crysis 2 use more than 1gb Vid Ram @ Ultra settings!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
ppl on steam are playing indie games on laptops that don't even need mid range gpus, what's your point exactly?

i NEVER said it'll happen soon. Stop putting words in my mouth.

In 2 years time, a GTX 670 gpu will still kickass, and when i want to go the SLI route it'll be pointless because 2gb of Vram won't be enough in 2 years. If they released 3-4gb GTX 670s then SLI in 2-3 years time will be an actual option. I'm just saying i'm facing this dilemma now with my 5870, its still an awesome card, and if i go Crossfire it'll no doubt extend the life by another year at minimum (saw 5870s being sold used for $130). But the big problem is my card has only 1gb of ram.:(

What exactly is so hard to comprehend about that?

This is why I never bothered with SLI and Xfire. In two years time NV will have a single card out that will give you the same performance of 670 SLI minus all the heat and drivers issues. Heck they will probably be 2 generations ahead in that time. I would rather take whatever is out in that time and be done with it.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
@ lehtv, if you read the first post in this thread, and the conversation that follows, its about how BF3 & Crysis 2 with mods use more than 1gb of Vram. GPU-z shows me its using 998mb of Vram when i play BF3, the rest is being used by Aero i guess, but its pretty much maxed out @ 1080p when i play BF3 & Crysis 2 with mods. It dips to 40ish and 30ish fps territory and ppl have told me its lack of Vram when im using Ultra.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
This is why I never bothered with SLI and Xfire. In two years time NV will have a single card out that will give you the same performance of 670 SLI minus all the heat and drivers issues. Heck they will probably be 2 generations ahead in that time. I would rather take whatever is out in that time and be done with it.
So true :thumbsup:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
System Shock 2 uses 171MB at 1600x1200 with 16xQ CSAA and upgraded textures/models.
So play better games.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Using has never and will never be the same as needing.

If it was I'd never have been able to pull off 5900x1080.

Using multiple gpus has allowed me to skip this generation, with two cheaper cards I get more performance than a single high end card this gen offers, with three I get the performance of two far more expensive cards.

To each their own though, in SLI I can run BM:AC with max settings/tess and FXAA at over 80 fps @ 5900x1080.

The only game I had trouble with was BF3, even at 1080p when it first released and in beta I had problems. Then I upgraded to 12GB of ram and was getting over 5GB of used memory with just the OS and game running. Then they patched it and I was having problems again and system ram usage went down... Dunno whats going on there but I haven't played BF3 in probably 4-6 months either way.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003

that would've been true 6-7 years ago, but the pace of development in the desktop market has slowed down considerably and the focus is all going to the mobile market. I will bet real money that in 2 years time a GTX 670 will still remain a very high end card. At worst you might have to disable AA, but add another GTX 670 and it'll be a beast all over again. 2 5870s in crossfire DO outperform a GTX 670 btw, but again, as per the theme of this thread, the Vram is holding them back. It's like NVidia is planning it like this. The Radeon 7xxx series has 3gb of Vram so they're much better options for Crossfire down the road.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
that would've been true 6-7 years ago, but the pace of development in the desktop market has slowed down considerably and the focus is all going to the mobile market. I will bet real money that in 2 years time a GTX 670 will still remain a very high end card. At worst you might have to disable AA, but add another GTX 670 and it'll be a beast all over again. 2 5870s in crossfire DO outperform a GTX 670 btw, but again, as per the theme of this thread, the Vram is holding them back. It's like NVidia is planning it like this. The Radeon 7xxx series has 3gb of Vram so they're much better options for Crossfire down the road.
why on earth would you want to fool with another 670 in 2 years though? at that point you could just get another faster single card with new and sell the 670. sli or crossfire will almost always be a silly upgrade path and only makes the most sense when you actually need 2 cards right at the time you make your gpu choice.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
why on earth would you want to fool with another 670 in 2 years though? at that point you could just get another faster single card with new and sell the 670. sli or crossfire will almost always be a silly upgrade path and only makes the most sense when you actually need 2 cards right at the time you make your gpu choice.

You are assuming there will be a half way decent game out there worth playing and spending few hundred dollars on GPU.

:cool:

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
In 2 years time, a GTX 670 gpu will still kickass, and when i want to go the SLI route it'll be pointless because 2gb of Vram won't be enough in 2 years. If they released 3-4gb GTX 670s then SLI in 2-3 years time will be an actual option. I'm just saying i'm facing this dilemma now with my 5870, its still an awesome card, and if i go Crossfire it'll no doubt extend the life by another year at minimum (saw 5870s being sold used for $130). But the big problem is my card has only 1gb of ram.:(

There already are 4GB GTX 670s and it doesn't make a difference because the memory controller really can't make use of the extra memory.

If you're that worried about it then start being middle ware cards like the 7850 and upgrade every other year. Or buy a beefier 7950 that's still less than the 670 and then crossfire than in a year.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Using has never and will never be the same as needing.

If it was I'd never have been able to pull off 5900x1080.

Using multiple gpus has allowed me to skip this generation, with two cheaper cards I get more performance than a single high end card this gen offers, with three I get the performance of two far more expensive cards.

To each their own though, in SLI I can run BM:AC with max settings/tess and FXAA at over 80 fps @ 5900x1080.

The only game I had trouble with was BF3, even at 1080p when it first released and in beta I had problems. Then I upgraded to 12GB of ram and was getting over 5GB of used memory with just the OS and game running. Then they patched it and I was having problems again and system ram usage went down... Dunno whats going on there but I haven't played BF3 in probably 4-6 months either way.

This is the only time for me its worth it. If I have to push a 30 inch monitor and tripple display system. Anything less than this you are better off with a single gpu.

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
There already are 4GB GTX 670s and it doesn't make a difference because the memory controller really can't make use of the extra memory.

If you're that worried about it then start being middle ware cards like the 7850 and upgrade every other year. Or buy a beefier 7950 that's still less than the 670 and then crossfire than in a year.

I never said it needs 4gb now, i said in 2~3 years the Vram will be an issue despite the GTX 670 gpu remaining powerful. Yes the 3gb on the 7950/70 certainly make them more future proof & more viable for crossfire.

Last edited:

minitron

Mar 12, 2012
Having 2GB of VRAM and having the GPU power to process all that eye candy are two completely different things.

Play BF3 on Ultra with a HD 6950, it's a slideshow.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Having 2GB of VRAM and having the GPU power to process all that eye candy are two completely different things.

Play BF3 on Ultra with a HD 6950, it's a slideshow.

I play BF3 on ultra with a 6950 2GB. You just need to turn off 4x MSAA and use FXAA instead. And that is with HBAO enabled also!

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
I play BF3 on ultra with a 6950 2GB. You just need to turn off 4x MSAA and use FXAA instead. And that is with HBAO enabled also!

is that setting in BF3 or in the Nvidia control panel?

I took the plunge and bought myself a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 for $381 shipped!(excluding taxes) Hope to keep on to it for 3 years like i did with my 5870!:)

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
is that setting in BF3 or in the Nvidia control panel?

I took the plunge and bought myself a Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 for $381 shipped!(excluding taxes) Hope to keep on to it for 3 years like i did with my 5870!:)

That setting is inside BF3.

And I should have added my resolution incase no one looked at my sig that is ultra at 1920x1200.