BF2 vs BC2?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Are they comparable? Whats different? If i casually liked BF2 but wasent really that into it all that much should i try BC2? I never built a "BF2 rig" or anything like some people did.

Things i liked about BF2:

- Vehicles, not the planes etc because i could never fly them but ground vehicles, mainly the tank and that smaller tank thing with wheels
- Large maps
- Large teams
- Weapon unlocks
- Dropping arty/stuff as commander

Things i didnt like about BF2:

- Anti air was useless
- Arse hole commander dropping arty on my head
- People with expansion packs having better weapons
- Flying stuff was incredibly difficult to fly effectively
- UI was garbage, reassigning controls was a nightmare, there were so many controls
- Massive freakin patches, yes game support is always good but a half baked release isnt!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
gameplay wise, basically the same.
no commander. maps don't seem as large, but still pretty big. large teams. weapon unlocks. I guess the recon class can get artillery but i haven't unlocked that yet.
only air vehicles are helicopters as far as i can tell.

it has lots of bugs now. server browser sucks ass. can't see ping unless you run steam and the game as admin. if i run the game as admin i get a message that the game is unavailable and can't play. turn off run as admin and it works.

this game is a sniper's heaven. 90% of the players play as snipers. walk outside a building and get sniped immediately. DICE has yet to learn how to make weapons that can actually hit the side of a barn.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
- IMHO BC2 is more like BF2142.
- Most maps I've played are medium sized, a few are large.
- Up to 32 players which seems to work very well.
- Much simpler controls that I can access with my left hand while the right does the shooting. I actually don't even need my Nostromo to play this game which is refreshing.
- There's not a throng of vehicles like BF2, the game seems much more balanced. As infantry I don't feel overwhelmed by tanks, chopers, and the like.
- Overall game play feel much tighter, again think BF2142.
- I don't have any problem seeing pings on my browser and it works fine for me.

Biggest gripe is to get into a game you essentially have to log-in twice; it doesn't remember your server preferences so you have to click 3-4 more times to sort; when you finally get into the game you have to select a squad and then select get into game. If you want to monkey around with you kit them welcome to more clicking. Oh yeah and after you die you have to click enter battle again which is stupid.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
The game isn't a sniper's heaven. If you're constantly getting sniped...well I'm gonna put it bluntly... you're doing something wrong.

I'm terrible at this game myself, but I can't say I've been sniped way too much. Stick to the cover, and if you're playing rush, for god sakes, don't run up the middle of the map...you're just waiting to get sniped then.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
The game isn't a sniper's heaven. If you're constantly getting sniped...well I'm gonna put it bluntly... you're doing something wrong.

I'm terrible at this game myself, but I can't say I've been sniped way too much. Stick to the cover, and if you're playing rush, for god sakes, don't run up the middle of the map...you're just waiting to get sniped then.

I would agree

you are probably standing around too much if you get sniped all the time

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Wont there be a massive overlap between this and BF3? BC2 sounds a lot like BF2 but smaller.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
i think BF2 is a much more punishing and unforgiving game than BC2 for casual gamers. BF2 was infested with aircraft whores who put 1000 hours into flying and casual gamers stood no chance against them. and those insta prone spammers who perfected the art of dolphin diving are no fun to play against.

overall, there is less rapage than BF2 and things are more or less balanced.

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004
Wont there be a massive overlap between this and BF3? BC2 sounds a lot like BF2 but smaller.

There are no aircraft, and there is no commander, and its only 32 players, so thats a big difference. The game doesn't feel like BF2 really in terms of massive battles.

BC2 is more noob friendly, while BF2 had a unforgiving learning curve.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Right, it seems like its a simpler BF2, think ill try it out, steam can shove their £35, ill get the boxed copy off amazon for £20.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
One of the gripes I had with BF2 was the maps were so wide open you could could go for any point at any time. This made it pointless to try to defend anything since the enemy could just go for another point. I felt like I was just randomly running around from point to point fighting the odd enemy in between. Certain maps like Strike at Karkand don't have this problem since it is more linear and there are no aircraft.

How is BC2 in this regard?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Are they comparable? Whats different? If i casually liked BF2 but wasent really that into it all that much should i try BC2? I never built a "BF2 rig" or anything like some people did.

Things i liked about BF2:

- Vehicles, not the planes etc because i could never fly them but ground vehicles, mainly the tank and that smaller tank thing with wheels
- Large maps
- Large teams
- Weapon unlocks
- Dropping arty/stuff as commander

Things i didnt like about BF2:

- Anti air was useless
- Arse hole commander dropping arty on my head
- People with expansion packs having better weapons
- Flying stuff was incredibly difficult to fly effectively
- UI was garbage, reassigning controls was a nightmare, there were so many controls
- Massive freakin patches, yes game support is always good but a half baked release isnt!

Anti-Air wasn't useless at all. You just have to learn how to use it. I've taken down countless jets/choppers with AA.

Commander dropping arty on your head is your fault. Don't sit in one place for too long.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
lol commander was probably trying to give you some health/ammo.

and this is the thanks he gets.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
BF2 was epic and BC2 unfortunately is not. BC2 is more like BF2142. It's still early for BC2 though and hopefully, some of the issues can be fixed in updates. And to the OP, one could still dominate in BF2 with the stock weapons, the unlocks really didn't give you any advantage.

Things I like so far with BC2:
Graphics
No Vehicle dominance

Things I dislike so far with BC2:
Squads limited to 4
No VOIP between squad leaders (reduces the amount of teamwork)
32 Player limit
No Commo Rose
Weak guns
Need for unlocks
Lack of admin tools
Reduced amount of controls and customizations(besides kits)

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Anti-Air wasn't useless at all. You just have to learn how to use it. I've taken down countless jets/choppers with AA.

Commander dropping arty on your head is your fault. Don't sit in one place for too long.

Pah ive heard that crap before, i dont buy games to "learn how to use them" learning isnt fun, its *anti* air it should win vs air, no exceptions. AA was worthless vs a semi decent pilot. That piddly AA gun on the carrier was only good for TKing to get a plane in the first place and the mobile AA... well that sucked at everything.

If i sat in the one place too long i should either be dead because of the front line shifting and enemy moving forward or completely safe if its my team pushing forward, commander should drop arty on enemy troops and not be a tking POS tank hog.

Keep in mind, i played last in late 2007, although i severely doubt anythings changed since then patches may have improved things.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
BF2 was epic and BC2 unfortunately is not. BC2 is more like BF2142. It's still early for BC2 though and hopefully, some of the issues can be fixed in updates. And to the OP, one could still dominate in BF2 with the stock weapons, the unlocks really didn't give you any advantage.

Things I like so far with BC2:
Graphics
No Vehicle dominance

Things I dislike so far with BC2:
Squads limited to 4
No VOIP between squad leaders (reduces the amount of teamwork)
32 Player limit
No Commo Rose
Weak guns
Need for unlocks
Lack of admin tools
Reduced amount of controls and customizations(besides kits)

So im probably just better off waiting for the full BF3 then? Im not that burned out on MW2 and L4D2. I just got the BF2 itch again since its been so long.

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
Things I dislike about BC2:

Maximum 32 player limit: Given the huge maps, 32 players gets boring and is a small number. Comparing that to Call of Duty 4/5, there is about a 50 player capacity per server in smaller maps which keeps the action going, they could have increased the player limit to 42 or 48 at least.

No perks like Martyrdom or Juggernaut as in COD4/5: Camping is an extreme high point since there is no way to kill campers or survive hits by having such perks, this makes the game-play harder but also boring..

Re-spawn timing: There's at least a 3-6 second respawn time given in servers, which once again is too slow for my liking, fast paced action would have made this game excel.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
So im probably just better off waiting for the full BF3 then? Im not that burned out on MW2 and L4D2. I just got the BF2 itch again since its been so long.

The only thing would be, who knows when BF3 will come out. If you're still into MW2 and L4D2 then matter as well wait til they fix all of the bugs/issues and possibly a lower price for the game.

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
I still play bf2 (project reality mod, highly recommend it). BC2 seems more console-ish. Not really a true simulation at all.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006

Maximum 32 player limit: Given the huge maps, 32 players gets boring and is a small number. Comparing that to Call of Duty 4/5, there is about a 50 player capacity per server in smaller maps which keeps the action going, they could have increased the player limit to 42 or 48 at least.

No perks like Martyrdom or Juggernaut as in COD4/5: Camping is an extreme high point since there is no way to kill campers or survive hits by having such perks, this makes the game-play harder but also boring..

Re-spawn timing: There's at least a 3-6 second respawn time given in servers, which once again is too slow for my liking, fast paced action would have made this game excel.

then play cod.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Perks are ghey

BF2 used to have a 15 second respawn time. Longer respawn time makes you have to play smarter, so you don't get killed.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I would agree

you are probably standing around too much if you get sniped all the time

oh thats right. standing still is the same as running around. as soon as you leave your starting area - sniped.

as soon as you leave any building - sniped

i must be joining the wrong servers then, is that it? or maybe i'm playing a different game because snipers are everywhere. 90% of the players snipe.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
oh thats right. standing still is the same as running around. as soon as you leave your starting area - sniped.

i must be joining the wrong servers then, is that it? or maybe i'm playing a different game because snipers are everywhere. 90% of the players snipe.
lol

I think you're playing a different game

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006

There's three possibilities:
1. You suck at the game.
2. You're on a shitty server.
3. You're over exaggerating.

Yea, there's been times where the opposing team is mostly snipers. It happens sometimes, but that's when you need to start counter-sniping. That said, get in a habit of running zigzags. Running in a straight line is an invitation to be sniped as well.

Look no one likes to be sniped, especially if you don't know where it's coming from. You just have to be aware of your surroundings.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006

You just have to play smart. Run on the INSIDE of a wall, not the outside. Throw down a smoke grenade to get across a clearing. Keep with your squad so that you can actually get help if you are being shot at.

It isn't rocket science.