bf/gf gets ring for each other on right hand ring finger

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
is this "socially" correct? since marriage would be getting a ring for the left hand ring finger?

or am i talking out or my ass

Oct 27, 2007
I've had friends do this. I think it's supposed to symbolise some sort of commitment that's not at the level of marriage.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
I've had friends do this. I think it's supposed to symbolise some sort of commitment that's not at the level of marriage.

Promise rings? Eek. I suppose I could understand it, but I don't think I'd ever involve myself in such a transaction.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

Promise rings? Eek. I suppose I could understand it, but I don't think I'd ever involve myself in such a transaction.

Sounds like a Promise Ring to me.

MotionMan

OogyWaWa

Jan 20, 2009
it was weird when my g/f requested what is known in japan as 'pair rings'. basically it isnt a promise ring, it isnt a marriage ring, or engagement rings, its just 'hey, we are dating' rings. lol kind of hard to understand when you consider rings only promise rings, engagement, and wedding bands, but i thought it was cool. i kind of like having it. whenever i'm down or want to meet to lady but cant, it reminds me of her. will be extra special when i've gotta return home i suppose :p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Women put too much meaning into a stupid ring. No need to show off to other people that you're in a relationship. Just be in it.

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
I don't get Promise Rings. What are you promising? That you'll love each other forever? Then get engaged. Promise Rings rank right up there with the various Hallmark holidays out there. Utterly useless, in my opinion.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Female here. If it's not an engagement/wedding ring it's just a regular gift. "Promise" rings, "pair" rings, "dating" rings, whatever the frack women are calling them these days, are just forced and overly artificial attempts to add "special" status to a regular piece of jewelry, a little bit of emotional masturbation.

If you want to play into your gf's "special" fantasies that is perfectly within your right. There is no widespread social recognition of these trends though, so it's really just a you-and-her thing. From my perspective it's a bit pointless. Get a gift if you want but don't invent some "this means we're going to the non-existent next level" meaning for it.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
:laugh: Sure.....that'll last..... :laugh:

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
placement of wedding ring varies from place to place around the world. some will wear it on right ring finger instead of left

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Depends on where they're from. Some cultures (e.g. russian) wear the wedding ring on the right hand.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Women put too much meaning into a stupid ring. No need to show off to other people that you're in a relatinoship. Just be in it.

I think it makes some women feel more comfortable when their man displays that he is taken.

Of course this is quite ignorant if you know too many men. Of course there are the greedy as hell women as well..

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

i think it's stupid

either get engaged/married or dont waste your money

Dec 26, 2007
Women put too much meaning into a stupid ring. No need to show off to other people that you're in a relatinoship. Just be in it.

Holy shit the logic you speak is making my head explode.....

Can I subscribe my gf to your newsletter?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: LS21
placement of wedding ring varies from place to place around the world. some will wear it on right ring finger instead of left

russian colleague did this.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

It's tradition; stop being cheap

Cal166

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: LS21

russian colleague did this.

You're correct, I have a Russian Co-worker that wears it on the right hand.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
People are too quick to make commitments like this when they should be out dating.

SET SAIL FOR FAIL!

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
My ex brother-in-law and his fiancee decided to tattoo each others names on their left ring fingers, after about 3 months of being together. Now they've postponed their wedding for an entire year and who knows if they will even stay together (I'm pretty sure he hates her now).

So in comparison to that, wearing a ring on your right hand is no big deal.

KT