BF 2 laggggg

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
Does it look like I need more RAM?

I was thinking May I get a 4GB kit somewhere and re-do my overclock.

Any ideas?

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Withe the system in your sig, your framerate should be through the roof at that res and detail. Unless you're one of those CS freaks looking for 200fps, it's probably your ISP or other software you have running.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
I am running the same setup almost identical...and i have everything maxed out and no issues what so ever...it is either server side issues or your ISP...or you have something running in the background...

are you downloading torrents or anything during game play?

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
Originally posted by: leeland
I am running the same setup almost identical...and i have everything maxed out and no issues what so ever...it is either server side issues or your ISP...or you have something running in the background...

No mate....I go to pains to make sure Im only using the bare needed. I do want more ram though, behaps another 1gb (2x 512)...

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: clarkey01

No mate....I go to pains to make sure Im only using the bare needed. I do want more ram though, behaps another 1gb (2x 512)...

last thing you can try is defrag your drive...that has helped me in the past...

Does it happen on every server? did you try to go into a bot game and see the results?

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
I experienced the same thing until I disabled superfetch in vista 32. Try it, and let me know if it works.

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004

last thing you can try is defrag your drive...that has helped me in the past...

Does it happen on every server? did you try to go into a bot game and see the results?

You wouldn't believe but my vista defrag has stopped working. I may have to shell out for disk keeper, unless you guys know of any decent free ones?

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
Originally posted by: jjzelinski
I experienced the same thing until I disabled superfetch in vista 32. Try it, and let me know if it works.

What is the job of superfetch ? will any harm come to my system if I turn it off ? I am just at work, will try later when I'm home. Thanks man.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Go into My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache and delete everything in there. When you go back into BF2 it will do the shader thingy again. Exit after it loads up a map then defrag that drive in which that bf2/cache was in. Also to make sure to defrag whatever drive you have BF2 stored in. That helped me with studder and I have a slower system than you and I run everything maxed out @ 1280x1024.

EDIT: Oh wait you have Vista so I don't know about Vista but in XP it should be everywhere I explained it in.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Superfeth is a utility that preloads applications into your ram. So when you actually start that application, it will allready be in your ram, and won't have to be loaded from your HD, into your ram, and then start. In other words, it will make your pc feel faster. If this happens when playing BF2 it might be that BF can't use enough ram though, making your stutter. It's worth trying at the very least.

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Superfeth is a utility that preloads applications into your ram. So when you actually start that application, it will allready be in your ram, and won't have to be loaded from your HD, into your ram, and then start. In other words, it will make your pc feel faster. If this happens when playing BF2 it might be that BF can't use enough ram though, making your stutter. It's worth trying at the very least.

I will try when I get home from work, just dissapointed that this system can't run medium settings and not lag. Bit of a joke.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003

does it do it by preloading programs you have used a lot in the past? kind of assuming you will use them again, like and email client or web browser?

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: bob4432

does it do it by preloading programs you have used a lot in the past? kind of assuming you will use them again, like and email client or web browser?

Yeah, it keeps track of your computing habits and loads programs into your RAM based on the frequency of application usage. Problem with BF2 is it just keeps feeding crap into superfetch until your run out of RAM. The easiest way to see if you're having superfetch issues is to alt+tab out to the desktop and check your RAM usage in the task manager. If it's pegged at 100% then get of of BF2 and restart the OS. When you get back into the desktop, start task manger again and leave it up while you load BF2. Play for a while then go back and check the statistics in the task manager and you should see your RAM committment steadily building to 100%. When it reaches 100% you're starting to rely on virtual memory and that's why you're stuttering.

Until either MS, EA, or nVidia produces a fix for this (not saying it's your issue but it was definately mine) the only way around it is to disable the superfetch service. Although it's a nice feature for the Vista OS, it is not by any means critical. You might not even notice a difference.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
I tried turning off superfetch and the lag got worse.

not trying to be a d!ck, but can you get a copy and run xp? again, no disrespect but i don't see ea offering a vista patch for bf2, since, well they didn't even patch it enough when it was in full swing.

on the bright site, frontlines: fuel of war will be coming shortly and that is made by the original people that made desert combat and then the first to make bf2 (later fired by ea), they are kaos studios (formeraly trauma studios).

good luck in your quest...

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
Originally posted by: bob4432
I tried turning off superfetch and the lag got worse.

not trying to be a d!ck, but can you get a copy and run xp? again, no disrespect but i don't see ea offering a vista patch for bf2, since, well they didn't even patch it enough when it was in full swing.

on the bright site, frontlines: fuel of war will be coming shortly and that is made by the original people that made desert combat and then the first to make bf2 (later fired by ea), they are kaos studios (formeraly trauma studios).

good luck in your quest...

I don't have any spare copies of XP, my parents have a xp machine with an FX 5600 256 mb on it ( My first ever overclocked card!) so not much point...

Don't worry I will just have to accept this lag until Day xx

MikeMAN

Oct 26, 1999
this sounds kinda crazy also, but I had the same thing happen to me. I THOUGHT i had my AVG closed because the icons were gone from the systray, but I checked under processes and there were a couple still running that I had to end and it ran great. I was ready to buy a new router because I thought it was a QoS issue with my brother downloading while i was playing or something. Good Luck!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

I will try when I get home from work, just dissapointed that this system can't run medium settings and not lag. Bit of a joke.

It can. I'm running BF2 at 1600x1200 (damn their lack of WS support) on the system in my sig, and it runs pretty well on Vista. For defrag, try the command line version on Vista.

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Chaotic42

It can. I'm running BF2 at 1600x1200 (damn their lack of WS support) on the system in my sig, and it runs pretty well on Vista. For defrag, try the command line version on Vista.

Yeah I tried that, first thing I thought of, I may put my hand in my pocket and buy disk keeper for a decent defrag.

Buying 4GB crucial ballistx tonight so see if that helps.

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
I just put the settings up to max, but I got flickers at the edge of my screen, so I put down the refresh rate and it runs now, smooth as you like, on a higher setting.......Strange