BF 1942 Single player - any good?

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
I only have a 56k connection, anyone think BF1942 is good for single player (the mission things rather than online)?
I want something varied and long-ish lasting, and BF1942 or Operation Flashpoint look like they might have longevity, and variety (ie, vehicles and shooting).
Any ideas?

Xenon14

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Negative. The AI in 1942 is aweful. Save your money until u get a faster connection and 1942: Vietnam comes out in spring.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
I got bored with it pretty fast. But maybe just because mp is so much fun.

But why not download the sp demo and try it out.
Heck, why not download the mp demo and try it out too.

I've heard some 56k'ers say they are able to play MP alright if they find a good server with decent ping.

Xenon14

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Shanti
I got bored with it pretty fast. But maybe just because mp is so much fun.

But why not download the sp demo and try it out.
Heck, why not download the mp demo and try it out too.

I've heard some 56k'ers say they are able to play MP alright if they find a good server with decent ping.

Maybe, but keep in mind that under favorable conditions he'll only be able to play in a small arena. I'm sure anything beyond 8 players will require more bandwidth than 56k can provide.

Quixfire

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2001
I thought BF1942 was OK for single player, I wouldn't play it over more than once. MOHAA or RTCW are better, and I hear Call of Duty is pretty good.

Hidden & Dangerous is free and isn't to bad either.

Xenon14

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fausto
Originally posted by: Maverick
call of duty is a better choice for sp
Best SP I've played in quite a while.

Why is Call of Duty so critically acclaimed? I have original MOHAA, and although it was a lot of fun, Call of Duty (at least from the commercials) looks exactly like MOHAA.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Xenon14

Why is Call of Duty so critically acclaimed? I have original MOHAA, and although it was a lot of fun, Call of Duty (at least from the commercials) looks exactly like MOHAA.
I heard it was developed by some of the original MOHAA devs.
From the demos, I would say it is a better looking, better playing, more team(even if they are bots) based version of MOHAA.

EDIT: Why not just try all the demos and decide which you like the best?
I know you are on 56k, but you can always just start the dl before you go to bed and they should be done by morning.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

It's fairly similar, but is much more "immersive" IMHO. The missions really suck you in.

virusag11

May 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Xiety
get Call of Duty !

One of the greatest single player games ever.

If you can't play 1942 mp then get Call of Duty! (both rock online)

Camofrog

Dec 2, 2003
i love BF1942 i have alll expansions and you can play several really cool mods for it like Desert Combat, I think the whole idea for BF1942 single player is to practice for online multiplayer, but i would deffinitely get it even so because it is still fun either way. ya 56k sucks for playing online but its not immpossible to do.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Negative. The AI in 1942 is aweful. Save your money until u get a faster connection and 1942: Vietnam comes out in spring.

The AI is horrid... I agree :)

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
Is it better than MoH:AA and it's expansions? I loved MoHAA.
It's the exact same game, with better graphics and gun views :D So yeah, it's good.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I don't even think of BF1942 in terms of a single player game. Its screams multiplayer because that's where its strengths are. Single player mode is a joke. The AI is horrendous. I love the game to death and in my opinion it's the best game ever but only as a multiplayer. Practice on singleplayer, play multiplayer but in your case if you don't already have it since you're on 56K I wouldn't bother.

MOHAA and Call of Duty are games that are designed with single player in mind and look and feel much different than BF1942. I've played both and although they aren't really for me in the single player sense (only because I like playing against real people no matter how good the AI is) they will probably impress you. Also, as you mentioned, Operation Flashpoint is a very highly rated title. You may wish to check out Ghost Recon too.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
How does CoD feel? Does it have that kinda sluggish feel that BF1942 has, or does it feel more snappy like Half Life?

Camofrog

Dec 2, 2003
Call of duty is pretty fast paced , try the demo and find out .

also PanzerIV is right Ghost recon would be a good game for ya it plays well accross a 56k.

There is more team work involved with BF1942, and is not sluggish if you are in the right part of the battle (and have a fast computer)

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
How does CoD feel? Does it have that kinda sluggish feel that BF1942 has, or does it feel more snappy like Half Life?

Much much snappier. It feels like a traditional FPS, and it doesn't have the slow-mo kinda feel that BF1942 has.

Even still, H&D II is better.

Edit:
There is more team work involved with BF1942, and is not sluggish if you are in the right part of the battle (and have a fast computer)

I don't think he was referring to choppiness or slowdown in the traditional sense. The game just has a slow kinda feeling to it, regardless of how fast your PC is.

Another Edit: Jeff7181- CoD has that feeling where when you move the mouse, BAM, the crosshair is exactly where you want it. It's hard to explain, but I think you'll understand what I mean.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
OH MY DEAR LORD!!!! Call Of Duty ROCKS!!!!!!!! I just downloaded the Dawnville demo and was blown away. It really is a continuation of MoH and just surpasses it every way possible. Almost feel like I'm in Band Of Brothers and waiting to take orders from Capt Winters. If CoD is this good, I can't believe HDII is any better. But I'm off to find out...

Xenon14

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
OH MY DEAR LORD!!!! Call Of Duty ROCKS!!!!!!!! I just downloaded the Dawnville demo and was blown away. It really is a continuation of MoH and just surpasses it every way possible. Almost feel like I'm in Band Of Brothers and waiting to take orders from Capt Winters. If CoD is this good, I can't believe HDII is any better. But I'm off to find out...

INDEED! - Just installed it myself (curtiousy of MaximumPC demo disc)... I've had it for a while, was never compelled to install it.

Impressions: First I would like to point out that I don't even enjoy single player games in general. Having said that:

Ok, i almost wet myself. The immersion into the game is rediculously realistic... naturally I panicked and ran around the arena like an idiot first few times. The game is very well done - the gun effect is incredibly real, but takes some time getting used to. The "deafening" effect from explosions is pretty cool too. The AI is a noticeable improvement over MOH - both enemy and friendlies. Can't wait to try multiplayer.