Question Beware real-world loot-box scams involving GPUs. (Seen so far on Amazon)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

JayzTwoCents see what can go wrong, buying into a "GPU loot-box scam" on Amazon.

Edit: Apparently Greg Salazar tried his hand at a loot-box scam a few months ago to see the scam in action as well.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
There are two things that stood out to me after watching the video..
  1. The title would list out multiple, specific graphics cards (e.g. 3090), but the description denotes each category by a set of graphics cards (e.g. 3000 series). If the top tier is simply Nvidia's and AMD's latest, there's no rule that says they can't have mostly cheaper cards, and if they're daring, only cheaper cards.
  2. What happens if they base their percentages on a specific number of cards that they do have, but they don't actually provide all of the boxes at once? For example, they have 1000 cards available, but they only ship out 100 mystery boxes. Yes, their original stock has a 2% chance at a current-generation card, but their distributed stock may have a 0% chance. Now, Amazon may have rules that stipulate against that sort of thing, but I don't know. The point is that if they don't distribute everything at once, you may not even have a chance at anything current.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah haha I heard about this. Stay away. Does Amazon even allow this?