Beware of AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I'm talking about the tool on

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/catalyst-uninstall-utility.aspx

Running this tool lead to a BSOD and afterwards booting into windows 7 was not possible anymore due to a BSOD when starting windows.

As always safe mode to the rescue. I re-ran the utility there and it completed. However I still got a BSOD when starting Win 7 in normal mode. I then decided to install new driver in safe mode which logically thinking was prone to fail because it was safe mode. However the installer did ask to create a directory but then failed to collect appropriate hardware info and could not continue.
After this I tried to boot again and it worked? My guess is the directory the installer created but unsure.

Anyway I recommend to avoid this utility or at least create a full system backup prior to using it!

Another thing worth mentioning is that I can downgrade to catalyst 13.4. Instant BSOD. (cgminer does not work on my pc and supposedly others ahve issues with catalyist 13.9).

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I also had problems with this tool last year, but I was running Windows 8, and there is no easy F8 - Safe mode with it, so I had to let windows use a system restore point and it worked well...

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I also had problems with this tool last year, but I was running Windows 8, and there is no easy F8 - Safe mode with it, so I had to let windows use a system restore point and it worked well...

settings/change pc settings/general/advanced startup/troubleshooting/startup settings

selected in that order and you get to a screen that lets you choose the standard safe mode settings by using your F# keys. More convoluted but it's there.

Also OP, why are you using some old utility without an update since January rather than just going into the control panel and uninstalling the drivers with Add/Remove Programs ?...

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
settings/change pc settings/general/advanced startup/troubleshooting/startup settings

selected in that order and you get to a screen that lets you choose the standard safe mode settings by using your F# keys. More convoluted but it's there.

Also OP, why are you using some old utility without an update since January rather than just going into the control panel and uninstalling the drivers with Add/Remove Programs ?...

if I understand correctly your instructions are only useful if your Windows is actually booting correctly,
I was stuck before having any option for safe mode, it would just bsod and restart, and so I was presented with the restore option, which was annoying, considering "F8" saved my day multiple times since windows 9x.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003

This ^^ but at the same time, I've used this utility about 10 times and have never had an issue. I use it because it saves me the time of deleting random folders and registry entries when I want a completely clean install.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
I use this with the engineer laptops at work....I uninstall first; then run it. Not run it to kill the drivers I think that's where the mistake came from.

I tend to do this to try and fix the mess Creo2 is; but that's the CAD software we're using right now.....*its a freaking nightmare*

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009

Because I had issues with cgminer (doesnt work with litecoin) and a recommended fix was to remove everything with said tool and reinstall.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I just recently used the utility successfully, but I was running Windows 8, not Windows 7. Worked fine for me, cleared out all the old AMD software.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
I tend to do this to try and fix the mess Creo2 is; but that's the CAD software we're using right now.....*its a freaking nightmare*

Ah, the old Pro/E. Get SolidWorks, its awesome! I use it daily, much better than Pro/E, I'd say better than Inventor as well.

MeldarthX

Golden Member
May 8, 2010
Ah, the old Pro/E. Get SolidWorks, its awesome! I use it daily, much better than Pro/E, I'd say better than Inventor as well.

Well if they don't fix Creo2; trust me I will be going that route and getting out of the contract we are in; but until things are complicated still.......ah the fun stuff.

I've been pretty much doing their support job; only bonus is the support manager that's in charge of our case is cute....:)

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
if I understand correctly your instructions are only useful if your Windows is actually booting correctly,
I was stuck before having any option for safe mode, it would just bsod and restart, and so I was presented with the restore option, which was annoying, considering "F8" saved my day multiple times since windows 9x.

Nah, it's still there. I don't know why MS buried it under all it's stupid automated options. Last weekend in attempts to update my drive controller I made my Windows partition unaccesible (even to Safe Mode.)

You still got to sit through the automated Self Repair process, but then you click Advance, and you'll see the normal F8 prompts.

@OP:
Considering I botched my computer and had to reinstall a few drivers, and just a few weeks ago I was testing 13.6b2 versus 13.8b1/13.8b2, I can't say I've had your issues. There is possibly something in your system specifically that is conflicting. I think I went through the uninstall/install process 10+ times in the last month.