Better than Roku! Seagate Theater+ $49.99 11/05/10 Only *DEAD*

Spelvin

Oct 11, 2006
Newegg has the Seagate Freeagent Theater + on sale this Friday for $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148499

I replaced my WDTV live with this unit as the WDTV would not reliably see my network shares on a wired network. I have had no issues with the Seagate.

The Seagate does Netflix, YouTube and Mediafly as well as all your local network media. You can use a USB keyboard with it to enter searches and such. It will work with Playon if you want to go that route for Hulu.(if only Mediafly could index hulu)

This unit needs a wired network connection or a sold seperately USB wifi dongle. This seems to be a deal breaker for the cable challenged.

Go get it!

Spelvin

Last edited:

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Since you have one...

When you say "Better than Roku" does that mean I can add to my watch instantly queue right from the device like I could with a Roku? Or do I still need a PC to manage my queue and this is basically watch only?

Spelvin

Oct 11, 2006
Currently you still need to add your Watch now items from a PC. I believe it is better than a roku since you can also watch pretty much any video format from your local network and use it as a DLNA receiver which roku has already said they are not going to support for a while, if at all.

drofli

Jun 4, 2007
As far as I can see, it doesn't seem to have built in WiFi. I was hoping it would replace my Roku and WD, but I prefer WiFi.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
OP, since you have one, I have a question.
I am only really interested in it's ability to stream media over the network (video and music). The question is though, what are its "shuffle" abilities? Can it shuffle audio AND video? Meaning can I point it to a directory on my network, hit "play" and have it shuffle the video inside that directory? I'm having a VERY hard time finding a set-top box that does this like my XBMC does.

Thanks for your reponse.

Jtorrespr1

Sep 13, 2005
pass I stick with streaming via my 360/ps3.

also people read some of the reviews of this device on the egg.(a lot problems with the current firmware).

Spelvin

Oct 11, 2006
Homerboy I am not sure, never tried it. I will see if I can test it tonight when I get home.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Homerboy I am not sure, never tried it. I will see if I can test it tonight when I get home.

Please do. It would be greatly appreciated. I need some cheaper boxes like this around my house vs a $200 XBMC build, but shuffle play on video directories is a must-have for my usage. Thanks!

Spelvin

Oct 11, 2006
Homerboy, I am not going to get a chance to do the test before the sale is over. I will try it tomorrow and still report back. this model is "discontinued" as the Goflex has replaced it though they are exactly the same guts with different plastic so I am sure this will come up on sale again.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Still give it a whirl please when you can and let me know.
I'm not overly concerned with getting the hot deal as I am concerned with getting a model that shuffles video

Thanks!

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Received mine today. Netflix streaming is broken, cannot activate device. There are threads at SD and the seagate forum discussing this problem with the devices from Newegg... Thankfully there's a 30 day return window. This device is worthless to me without Netflix.

Not really better than Roku anymore.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I don't think so. Unfortunately it isn't in front of me.

EDIT: I couldn't even find a way for it to resume what I was playing. If I stopped a program and went back to the menu, I couldn't resume.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I don't think so. Unfortunately it isn't in front of me.

EDIT: I couldn't even find a way for it to resume what I was playing. If I stopped a program and went back to the menu, I couldn't resume.

BAH! Why do all these set-top boxes seem to fall so short? It doesn't seem overly hard to implement something like this. I just do NOT want to end up spending $200+ to build another XBMC machine, but I'm being left almost no choice.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Got my Roku when it first came out. I don't think I've found anything better yet to replace it with. Going to pass on this one.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Received mine today. Netflix streaming is broken, cannot activate device. There are threads at SD and the seagate forum discussing this problem with the devices from Newegg... Thankfully there's a 30 day return window. This device is worthless to me without Netflix.

Not really better than Roku anymore.

It is better in that it is more than a Netlfix only device.
For the growing amount of people that have Media Servers with tons of personal content, there's nothing NEAR this unit for what they were selling it for. I saw it pop up a few days ago as a Shell Shocker for 59.00 as well.

And you're doing something wrong. I ordered and installed 2 of these - Netflix works fine. DLNA works great, streams all of my movies, and formats.

From the quick search I did, apparently these will take many 'generic' WiFi adapters. YMMV. I am a bandwidth snob and wired the house with Cat5E. There's some things WiFi isn't quite ready for, and streaming HD 1080p is one of them. (blah, blah, blah - nothing beats a hard wired connection, period)

It is weak on:
1. MULTIPLE firmware updates needed out of the box. Not a HUGE hassle, but time consuming. That also shows me they are working hard on the firmware.
2. View Only Netflix. - I maintain my Instant Que, but really, how hard would it be to put search functionality in this? I see this on many media streaming boxes. Makes me wonder if Roku is geting special treatment, being they are sponsored by and solely supported by Netflix.
And why doesn't Roku embrace home media formats and choices? Hmmm. That would be bad for Netflix. Curious.. ^_^
3. Menu color choices and organization poor.
4. Included Ethernet cable is a bit too short IMO.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
The Netflix situation is fixed. Seagate forgot to submit a group of serials to netflix and he devices wouldn't activate. All good now.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
It is better in that it is more than a Netlfix only device.
For the growing amount of people that have Media Servers with tons of personal content, there's nothing NEAR this unit for what they were selling it for. I saw it pop up a few days ago as a Shell Shocker for 59.00 as well.

And you're doing something wrong. I ordered and installed 2 of these - Netflix works fine. DLNA works great, streams all of my movies, and formats.

From the quick search I did, apparently these will take many 'generic' WiFi adapters. YMMV. I am a bandwidth snob and wired the house with Cat5E. There's some things WiFi isn't quite ready for, and streaming HD 1080p is one of them. (blah, blah, blah - nothing beats a hard wired connection, period)

It is weak on:
1. MULTIPLE firmware updates needed out of the box. Not a HUGE hassle, but time consuming. That also shows me they are working hard on the firmware.
2. View Only Netflix. - I maintain my Instant Que, but really, how hard would it be to put search functionality in this? I see this on many media streaming boxes. Makes me wonder if Roku is geting special treatment, being they are sponsored by and solely supported by Netflix.
And why doesn't Roku embrace home media formats and choices? Hmmm. That would be bad for Netflix. Curious.. ^_^
3. Menu color choices and organization poor.
4. Included Ethernet cable is a bit too short IMO.

I hate to be a broken record, but does it shuffle videos?