Better Call Saul TV Series

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
What are you trying to convince me of? That BCS and Star Wars prequels wouldn't survive on their own? I agree. They are barely watchable after having watched the originals. If anything, knowing how it all ends makes it less interesting to me. Having the luxury of hindsight, I'd rather watch the prequels first and save the best for last. Maybe it's just me.

Dude, do you even listen to yourself? Try to unravel your own drivel.

If I had the chance, I'd rather watch Better Call Saul before Breaking Bad. Not sure why anybody would suggest otherwise.

then

What are you trying to convince me of? That BCS and Star Wars prequels wouldn't survive on their own? I agree. They are barely watchable after having watched the originals.

Do I need to draw you a map or can you comprehend that you're arguing against yourself? Why would anyone suggest watching watching BB first and BCS second? Because without watching BB first nobody would watch BCS at all. It sucks on its own, without knowing where Jimmy and Mike are headed it would be unwatchable.

You agree that BCS is unwatchable without having seen BB first and you whine about people suggesting that viewers watch BB first. Might I humbly suggest that you attempt to grow a brain at your earliest possible convenience? Thanks.

Reactions: MongGrel

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Dude, do you even listen to yourself? Try to unravel your own drivel.

then

Do I need to draw you a map or can you comprehend that you're arguing against yourself? Why would anyone suggest watching watching BB first and BCS second? Because without watching BB first nobody would watch BCS at all. It sucks on its own, without knowing where Jimmy and Mike are headed it would be unwatchable.

You agree that BCS is unwatchable without having seen BB first and you whine about people suggesting that viewers watch BB first. Might I humbly suggest that you attempt to grow a brain at your earliest possible convenience? Thanks.

Ramen.

Jun 18, 2000
You win -- poor choice of words. I understand why somebody would recommend BB first. That way you when you are rubbing yourself raw watching season 2 hoping for a payoff at the end, you'll at least be happy you have that emotional connection with Mike and Slippin' Jimmy from BB.

Hey OP be sure to watch BB first. It goes from unwatchable to just slightly watchable. Or maybe you'll be the 1 in a million that finds the BB references actually makes it worse.

goobee

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
goobee.org
Because the vast majority of the people who start with BCS don't like it. Many of the people who don't have the context of what's happening and what's going to happen view BCS as just an excruciatingly slow story about a misfit lawyer. The only thing that makes the endless pointless repetitive scenes of Jimmy struggling to be a normal lawyer is the knowledge that he's going to morph into Saul. Without that, it's just boring. OP is not alone in that regard, without the knowledge of what's going to happen I would have dumped BCS halfway through season 2. About half the season was Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy doesn't fit in, repeat 50 more times in 50 more scenes.

This is spot on. Being BB ignorant, I find the episodes excruciatingly painful to watch. I actually find Mike to be more interesting which is a script writing fail since Jimmy is supposedly the main character.

I can't see how the series hopes to attract new viewers when all the uniniitated see is Jimmy being dysfunctional each episode. He causes problems for himself. He causes problems for his girlfriend. He causes problems for his employers. He is basically poison that taints everyone/thing around him. That's not much to hold audiences' attention.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Then you're literally one in a million viewers. To be successful a TV series has to hook people right away, nobody watches a boring series hoping that it might get good someday. It either works or *click*. BCS would not work on its own, without knowing who Mike and Jimmy are and who they're going to be it wouldn't last. The BB winks and nods are necessary. What I find frustrating is that apparently the showrunners think the viewers have the attention span of a stoned goldfish. Jimmy is a misfit, Jimmy doesn't fit in, Jimmy has to find a different kind of law to practice. WE FREAKING GET IT ALREADY, MOVE ON!! While the first season moved along at a nice clip the 2nd season sucked. The only reason I, and many other people, are still watching is because of Breaking Bad. Be honest, who would have sat through that entire 2nd season without knowing that things HAVE to improve? Without Saul and Mike of BB era as a guaranteed destiny most people would have given up on caring about Jimmy long ago.
I find it ironic that you keep talking about how they drill "Jimmy doesn't fit in" 99 times on the show and you have (at least, only on page 1) 3 different posts telling us that you don't like how they tell us that 99 times. We got it the first time.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I find it ironic that you keep talking about how they drill "Jimmy doesn't fit in" 99 times on the show and you have (at least, only on page 1) 3 different posts telling us that you don't like how they tell us that 99 times. We got it the first time.

it's meta, bro.

goobee

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
goobee.org
Just an update, AMC ran a BB marathon over the holidays and I watched all the the episodes.

What a contrast. Where I hated Jimmy in BCS, I absolutely loved Saul in BB. After years of seeing "good" lawyers featured on TV, it was a nice change to see one with a loose moral compass.

The same can not be said about Mike. Mike's character in BCS is very sympathetic, he lost his son and the trust of his daughter-in-law. He has nothing but the goal to provide for his granddaughter. In BB, he is just a thug, I did not care about him at all.

With having seen BB, I can say that you really don't need to have seen BB to appreciate (or not appreciate) BCS. Jimmy is an idiot in BCS, no amount of background changes that.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Just an update, AMC ran a BB marathon over the holidays and I watched all the the episodes.

What a contrast. Where I hated Jimmy in BCS, I absolutely loved Saul in BB. After years of seeing "good" lawyers featured on TV, it was a nice change to see one with a loose moral compass.

The same can not be said about Mike. Mike's character in BCS is very sympathetic, he lost his son and the trust of his daughter-in-law. He has nothing but the goal to provide for his granddaughter. In BB, he is just a thug, I did not care about him at all.

With having seen BB, I can say that you really don't need to have seen BB to appreciate (or not appreciate) BCS. Jimmy is an idiot in BCS, no amount of background changes that.

I loved Saul in BB. There is literally not a bone in his body that isn't morally compromised so watching BCS is fascinating to me because it delves into what makes a character like that who he becomes.

Mike was a blunt instrument for Gus and Saul in BB and as such he didn't get much character development until the last season really. He has a much bigger role in this series so naturally you get more of the story of his life... just like Jimmy. They are completely different characters but I don't think Mike is much of a good guy. He is just as flawed as Jimmy.

I enjoy this series and will definitely continue to watch it when it returns.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
keep-calm-its-only-6-more-days.png
Until its back.

Reactions: WelshBloke

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
keep-calm-its-only-6-more-days.png
Until its back.
Yesterday I was watching something on TV and had something else recording, then something came up that asked me if I wanted to cancel Better Call Saul or the other thing recording. I was like WTF?????!!!?!?

But then I saw it was some 3 minute BCS bullshit thing and canceled it.

Xstatic1

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2006
Can't wait! :D

I've got a quick funny story. Hubby and I went to visit some of the Breaking Bad filming locations in Albuquerque last Fall. One of the stops was Walt & Skyler's house (see bottom pic below).

14269077_1795087687398923_506252055787077632_n.jpg

There are warning signs on the house that security cameras were in use. In the minute it took for me to jump out car, snap a few pics, then jump back in car.... some lady (owner?) was opening her garage door to stare us down. WTF?!

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It would help if you had watched 'Breaking Bad'. In fact, I would highly recommend it.

'Breaking Bad' was absolutely brilliant. 'Better Call Saul' is getting there... it may never achieve brilliance but it is pretty good.
/thread

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I've seen Breaking Bad so I tried a few episodes Better Call Saul and just couldn't get into it. Maybe I need to trudge through it because the first several episodes of Breaking Bad sucked too.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Let's hope having Gus around shakes things up a little. I wonder if there will be a scene about Jimmy not fitting into the corporate law world.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
DVR paused, BCS will be so much better with popcorn and a Mountain Dew. BTW, Dr Pepper fucking sucks.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I think Rhea Seehorn is my new TV crush. Man, she's hot!

Great episode too. Mike is brilliant. I love this show.