Beto: We only have ten years on earth left if we don't address climate change.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Slow's only interest, I believe, is in upsetting people who are rational by claiming the world if flat. When you argue with him logically, he wins. He needs negative attention. He's does not care what the truth is any more than taking a contrarian position. Part of self hate is the feeling of insignificance, that one is invisible, which can be offset by negative attention. Slow needs to know his feelings of worthlessness are imaginary, inculcated at an age when he couldn't possibly defend himself.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Guys, the globe has been cooling in recent years... It is yet another climate change prediction of dire consequences, FUD for votes. Al Gore said we only had a short time over a decade ago... In 10 years the left will be telling us we only have 10 years again to save the earth. LOL, fools.
No the Earth has not been cooling in recent years. You are wrong or lying.

But I didn't say the temperature has dropped since the 70's. I said it has been cooling in recent years.
I think man is influencing it, just hard to say to what extent. Right now the globe is cooling and has been in recent years, though. And again, I don't believe the FUD from the alarmists looking for power and/or money.

Reactions: nickqt

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
While I’m suspect of the “tipping point” some scientists speak about, Beto did not say all life will end when you read the news from anything other than fox or storm front or a handful of despicable news networks.
He said:

He is not saying all life will cease, he is saying that past that point there will be irresible damage to the climate.
In other words he is selling an idea with a date that cannot be proven. Kind of like the President does
@SlowSpyder I’ll give the same answer you gave regarding the President. Beto is just trolling guys like you to watch their heads explode

Screen capture from search regarding this claim

zvEiHsO.jpg
OP is pwned.

giphy.gif

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So the poster who started a thread yesterday expressing concern that something Trump said may have been "misinterpreted" has started a thread today so that he can intentionally "misinterpret" what Democratic politicians have said.

Fascinating. So what's the ATPN consensus on this? Trolling? or just obliviousness?

Trollin, trollin' trollin... keep those assholes trollin'... Alt Right!

What's the worst case scenario either way?

If the climate change deniers are right & we go with a green new deal we'll have more renewable energy & we'll preserve fossil fuels for future generations.

OTOH, if the climate change scientists are right & we do nothing we'll create a global disaster of unimaginable consequences. It wouldn't be the first time humans have wrought environmental disaster. We just moved on to a different part of the environment when we laid waste to any part. That won't work if we do it at a global scale because we only have one planet.

Reactions: nickqt

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So we agree and have around a 2/3rds consensus. Why do you continually post about Al Gore predictions who is relatively irrelevant today and that a couple of breeds of Polar Bears are thriving. Why not work together for a solution or even a partial solutions?

I believe we can influence the environment, I believe we can harm it. I think we should care for the world we live in. I do not believe the fear mongering of the alarmist leftists. Climate change has become a political weapon, truth is not a popularity contest.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I believe we can influence the environment, I believe we can harm it. I think we should care for the world we live in. I do not believe the fear mongering of the alarmist leftists. Climate change has become a political weapon, truth is not a popularity contest.
Good thing that science isn't a popularity contest, nor does science care what you believe (or what anyone believes for that matter).

But please do continue playing your usual game of telling lies and pointing fingers.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I do not believe the fear mongering of the alarmist leftists.

You mean you don't believe in the dire warnings of climate scientists, obviously, simply because those rotten leftists do believe them.

It's a damned shame that facts really do have a liberal bias.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
You mean you don't believe in the dire warnings of climate scientists, obviously, simply because those rotten leftists do believe them.

you will believe anything as long as it comes from he left.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

T/F: The ice caps are still in existence.

T/F: Polar bears are not extinct.

These are a couple of examples of fear mongering alarmist FUD I speak of. I've seen both of those used in the past, and it simply hasn't come true.

Saying a storm was the strongest since we started keeping records is silly to me. That's trying to glean so much from such a short history. Don't you find it somewhat curious that Al Gore bought beach front property after saying the sea levels could rise by 20 feet?

As I said, I think we should care for the environment and be mindful of our potential impact. But, we're not going extinct in 10 years over climate change. If we don't significantly change our path over the next 10 years I don't think it'll mean the end of us.

Feb 4, 2009
T/F: The ice caps are still in existence.

T/F: Polar bears are not extinct.

These are a couple of examples of fear mongering alarmist FUD I speak of. I've seen both of those used in the past, and it simply hasn't come true.

Saying a storm was the strongest since we started keeping records is silly to me. That's trying to glean so much from such a short history. Don't you find it somewhat curious that Al Gore bought beach front property after saying the sea levels could rise by 20 feet?

As I said, I think we should care for the environment and be mindful of our potential impact. But, we're not going extinct in 10 years over climate change. If we don't significantly change our path over the next 10 years I don't think it'll mean the end of us.

To my understanding the only guy talking Polar Bears and Ice Caps is you.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
And again it's Gore, not science. Why don't you check the facts again and tell us warming isn't happening? Oh it is. But it's warmed in the past. Yes it has but the rate of change is remarkable. Things don't have time to adapt and so we're in the Sixth Mass Extinction and the first to be man-made. He is so proud. What was the name of that critter in Congress? Now where's that video...

Oh yes, Massie.

What a complete scoundrel. Welcome to his level. Completely irrelevant point designed to deny what matters. 200 million years ago? Supposedly he is educated and people are laughing at Massie and he lies like a rug to point to everyone and points at Kerry.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
And again it's Gore, not science. Why don't you check the facts again and tell us warming isn't happening? Oh it is. But it's warmed in the past. Yes it has but the rate of change is remarkable. Things don't have time to adapt and so we're in the Sixth Mass Extinction and the first to be man-made. He is so proud. What was the name of that critter in Congress? Now where's that video...

Oh yes, Massie.

What a complete scoundrel. Welcome to his level. Completely irrelevant point designed to deny what matters. 200 million years ago? Supposedly he is educated and people are laughing at Massie and he lies like a rug to point to everyone and points at Kerry.

Caution, this may cause a temporary loss if IQ when listening to the liar Massie.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Maybe he wanted to do a timelapse video of his beachfront properly receding over the next five years?

Seriously, though... Didn't Al Gore say that southern Manhattan would be underwater by now in his first movie?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
No, the subject of the OP was about how you intentionally misconstrued a statement into making it sound like fearmongering.

No, saying we only have 10 years left to fix this IS fear mongering. The doomsday predictions continue to be wrong and wrong again. He's trying to make it sound like the problem is more critical than it is to drive fear, get votes, prove he is the one to help fix this "problem."

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Something is going on with polar bears

https://globalnews.ca/news/4952021/polar-bear-russian-invasion/
Scientists in Russia said thinning sea ice could be an explanation for the invasion.
“We’ve seen definite trends in certain parts of the Arctic where polar bears are congregating we have not seen before,“ Elizabeth Kruger of the World Wildlife Foundation told NBC News.
“Compared to previous years, they come ashore in the southern part of the archipelago, where the ice is changing. They migrate through Novaya Zemlya heading north, where the ice is solid,” Ilya Mordvintsev, a lead researcher at the Severtsev Institute of Ecology and Evolution, told TASS.

So fact is through observable science the planet is warming, period, in a time due to solar activity it should be cooling, period. 97% of climate scientists think its us that's doing it.
When I want to know what is wrong with my car I trust my mechanic and when my kids ears are infected the doctor. There is no conspiracy, climate scientists get paid if its warming or cooling, as with any scientist they have success if they get published and they get published MORE if they are right or have the right business group paying them to be 3% contrarians. Granted there is always haziness when it comes to predicting the future however considering the huge amount of civilization and infrastructure mankind has built over the last couple hundred years it would be prudent to try to safeguard it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paratus

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No, saying we only have 10 years left to fix this IS fear mongering. The doomsday predictions continue to be wrong and wrong again. He's trying to make it sound like the problem is more critical than it is to drive fear, get votes, prove he is the one to help fix this "problem."
I'm glad to see you are concerned about politicians making something more critical than it is to drive fear and get votes. I hope Beto doesn't declare a national emergency.

Reactions: compcons

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Except he didn't say that and this fact has already been pointed out to you by another poster.

Feb 4, 2009

@compuwiz1 this applies to you from earlier

Do you believe Mothers, Fathers and Doctors are killing babies moments after they are born.

The President thinks so.
There is no way I’m sitting out on this cycle. The President sells fear. I’m perfectly fine with Beto selling fear.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Except he didn't say that and this fact has already been pointed out to you by another poster.

When you repeat a lie enough times you may come to believe it yourself.

The whole thing is quite remarkable when viewed in geological time. We're already into terra incognita when it comes to atmospheric CO2 & it's climbing fast. Here's what the leftists at NASA say about it-

https://climate.nasa.gov/climate_resources/24/graphic-the-relentless-rise-of-carbon-dioxide/

Longer time frame-

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14845/figures/4

Keep in mind that modern humans have only existed for 300,000 years or so.

Reactions: Amused

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Look up sunny day flooding in Miami Florida. Look at how much they have spent and are going to spend while trying to save their city. Now just think this is just one city in US. How much is it going to cost to save other cities along the coast. Now consider coastal flooding is just one component of climate change. Fires, drought, soil erosion, non-coastal floods, wars, famine, etc.

In 21 years there will be 9.8 billion people on this planet. We are facing big problems and the can can't be kicked down the road any longer. This isn't a partisan issue. This is our home and we should take care of it. We should also teach our children to take care of it.

"Leave this world a little better than you found it."