Beto for 2020

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I'm in Dallas. I love Texas.

been here since 1987...was in houston for 5 years before that...I'm not leaving unless they drag me out....

But I'm pretty sure I would have a nice little nest egg if I had a dollar for every time TX was called a shithole by liberals here....

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
You do understand that the Dems only run on trickle down and fear? Fear of "Whitey" holding them back and waiting for the government to trickle down money from those rich liberals. I guess it's a mistake that several billionaires are liberal leaning and that they forgot to share the wealth.

What are you talking about? The only thing republicans got done in two years was their trickle down tax scam bill. And they were definitely trying to run on that and caravan fear, rather than their incomprehensible position on health care.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
What are you talking about? The only thing republicans got done in two years was their trickle down tax scam bill. And they were definitely trying to run on that and caravan fear, rather than their incomprehensible position on health care.
Remember, every time some modern US conservative is screaming about some liberal, they’re really describing themselves. If you remember that, their screeds won’t be as confusing when you come across them.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...side-of-texas-as-he-considers-2020-bid-report

Planning a solo road trip to meet people outside the state. This cat is running and can definitely take Trump imo. His coolness is a deflector shield to a Trumps nicknames, and I think he’s a moderate that will attact a lot of people on the center right that Warren won’t (whom I also like). He’s proven he can run a good campaign and stand toe to toe with anybody (who’d have thunk Cruz would almost lose TX???).

Beto-2020-is-real-and-Republicans-shouldnt-ignore-it.jpg

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Beto doesn't take strong enough positions against elitists and corporate plutocracy.
I mean, he is better than Clinton, but, Warren, Sanders, and Ojeda are MUCH better candidates.
Personally, I like Sanders and Ojeda, but, I know Ojeda won't win since he did something which is likely unforgivable to a LOT of primary voters several years ago.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Which I think is why he’d make a great candidate. The bulk of Americans don’t want a Bernie Sanders in the office. Run a moderate like Beto and you sweep the house. Run Bernie and it’s a gamble and one that you might lose.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Which I think is why he’d make a great candidate. The bulk of Americans don’t want a Bernie Sanders in the office. Run a moderate like Beto and you sweep the house. Run Bernie and it’s a gamble and one that you might lose.
Most americans who were actually polled want the same policies sanders talks about. I would argue that the bulk of american DO want a Bernie Sanders in the office.

If you run a moderate, lots of people will simply not vote because they feel like they are picking the lesser of 2 evils.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Most americans who were actually polled want the same policies sanders talks about. I would argue that the bulk of american DO want a Bernie Sanders in the office.

If you run a moderate, lots of people will simply not vote because they feel like they are picking the lesser of 2 evils.

Agreed. I think Beto is somewhat a wolf in sheeps clothing too. I think he appears more moderate and sells himself as a little more reserved to land some of those moderate liberal votes (especially in Texas). But, given the power, he'd put out policies that are more in line with Sanders and AOC and if 75% of that "pie in the sky" policy actually landed, he'd end up winning all around.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

He's only run for office in a red state. Wait for a national campaign and we'll see how moderate he is.

All that said, I think Beto should look for a VP slot this time around.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Agreed. I think Beto is somewhat a wolf in sheeps clothing too. I think he appears more moderate and sells himself as a little more reserved to land some of those moderate liberal votes (especially in Texas). But, given the power, he'd put out policies that are more in line with Sanders and AOC and if 75% of that "pie in the sky" policy actually landed, he'd end up winning all around.
From what I understand, his policy voting record does not support that. Might just be a wolf in a wolf's winter coat. :D

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
He's only run for office in a red state. Wait for a national campaign and we'll see how moderate he is.

Agreed with this - especially the VP slot.

Nov 25, 2013

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

What are some for examples. You may be right but I’m just finding hard to believe most Americans alien with Bernie’s policies. Most Dems maybe?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
What are some for examples. You may be right but I’m just finding hard to believe most Americans alien with Bernie’s policies. Most Dems maybe?

Medicare for all polls over 70%, even most republicans support it.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...percent-of-americans-support-medicare-for-all
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-ame...blicans-say-the-support-medicare-for-all-poll

Raising minimum wages usually gets support from both sides, though of course "by how much" differers a lot depending on area.
https://thehill.com/homenews/335837-poll-bipartisan-majority-supports-raising-minimum-wage

Trump and Sanders both seem to be pretty strongly "anti-offshore tax haven."
I haven't ever seen any polls in the US, but, Canada polls around 90% of people being against tax avoidance though offshore tax havens.
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...rms-is-morally-wrong-say-nine-out-of-10-in-uk

Net neutrality is supported almost universally.

He has been strongly for civil rights since at least the 1960s when he marched with MLK, just about everybody I have ever met has been pro "civil rights", even my old racist grandma agrees that black people should be allowed to vote and own property.

Many of his positions line up with the the de facto democrat position which is opposed by a majority of conservative voters, however, that is practically universally true among all democrats (womens rights, Opposition to death penalty, universal background checks, seperation of church and state)

Here are most of his well documented stances/positions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Bernie_Sanders

I don't feel like doing research any more, but, he generally polls as the "most popular senator" in the entire history of the US. He does have some controversial stances on things, but, overall, his platform is well thought out and he is among the most consistent in Washington.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Medicare for all polls over 70%, even most republicans support it.
https://thehill.com/policy/healthca...percent-of-americans-support-medicare-for-all
https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-ame...blicans-say-the-support-medicare-for-all-poll

Raising minimum wages usually gets support from both sides, though of course "by how much" differers a lot depending on area.
https://thehill.com/homenews/335837-poll-bipartisan-majority-supports-raising-minimum-wage

Trump and Sanders both seem to be pretty strongly "anti-offshore tax haven."
I haven't ever seen any polls in the US, but, Canada polls around 90% of people being against tax avoidance though offshore tax havens.
https://www.theguardian.com/busines...rms-is-morally-wrong-say-nine-out-of-10-in-uk

Net neutrality is supported almost universally.

He has been strongly for civil rights since at least the 1960s when he marched with MLK, just about everybody I have ever met has been pro "civil rights", even my old racist grandma agrees that black people should be allowed to vote and own property.

Many of his positions line up with the the de facto democrat position which is opposed by a majority of conservative voters, however, that is practically universally true among all democrats (womens rights, Opposition to death penalty, universal background checks, seperation of church and state)

Here are most of his well documented stances/positions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_positions_of_Bernie_Sanders

I don't feel like doing research any more, but, he generally polls as the "most popular senator" in the entire history of the US. He does have some controversial stances on things, but, overall, his platform is well thought out and he is among the most consistent in Washington.
I think his biggest issue will be his age. He'll be like 75 in 2020.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
We should ask ourselves why we're talking up individuals, if we also claim the party supports their policy.

Bernie Sanders should have many younger versions of himself out there. The issue is we don't really have faces to place with them. We do not "know" them. We need to change that. We cannot just rely on any one individual, we need many individuals working towards the same goal. We need a party worthy of the legacy we claim to support.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Damn I thought it was gonna be a thread about Rick Beato for prez in 20/20. 8 years of 'What Makes This Song Great' straight from the oval office ... I'm down.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009

I said this in another thread awhile back: Biden/Beto 2020. I would vote in a heartbeat.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000

You are right wing of course the candidate that appeals to you is center. The reality is the progressives are more motivated then the chuds.