Beto for 2020

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Prove you can win a regular season game before you roll into the Superbowl.

I generally would agree with this, but he put up an unquestionably good fight in a supremely red state against a well backed incumbent. It certainly wasn't too shabby of a debut for him.
I'd also like to add, that the current POTUS didn't win any regular season games. Hell, he didn't even participate in any.
But I'd also like to add... look where that got us.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
As brought up in another thread, Biden Beto would be a good combo. I just don't know if the Dems have the stomach for two white dudes.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
And Dems seem reluctant to talk about it, what gives?

People aren't talking about the future when they haven't figured out today just yet. Yes, the Dems took the House, but what will that look like? Hell if I know, but Biden/Beto seems like a real possibility, but I'm not hitching my cart to any horse just yet.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

It should also be noted that Beto has held a seat in the United States House of Representatives since 2013, and before that was on the El Paso city council. He may have lost the Senate race, which he came into as a pretty massive underdog, but he is a seasoned politician with a winning record and has garnered national attention. He is a good candidate for the 2020 Democratic primary.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
He seems to have forgotten that he was running in Texas and not nationally. Betomania peaked too early, and Cruz effectively dulled the momentum between his debate performance, DUI mug shot and anchoring him to all the celebrities gushing over the shiny object.

Even that's not a reason to vote for a vile swamp creature like Senator Reek. Maybe Dump will get his immigration wish and we can deport Raphael back to Canada.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Even that's not a reason to vote for a vile swamp creature like Senator Reek. Maybe Dump will get his immigration wish and we can deport Raphael back to Canada.
You’re not going to defeat Senator Reek with a skateboarding Ser Loras. You need to send in the Hound

Reactions: local

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
You’re not going to defeat Senator Reek with a skateboarding Ser Loras. You need to send in the Hound

Plenty of young, energetic talent to choose from. And demographics in Texas are definitely trending in the right direction.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Inevitability is a poor strategy and demographics often shift alignments.

The strategy is to keep picking young people with a lot of energy who can get the base excited for the future. And the demographics are moving that way in the entire country, but especially Texas.

The portion of the country that are old, white conservatives will continue to shrink. Eventually it will be too much for them to succeed running on trickle down and fear.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I generally would agree with this, but he put up an unquestionably good fight in a supremely red state against a well backed incumbent. It certainly wasn't too shabby of a debut for him.
I'd also like to add, that the current POTUS didn't win any regular season games. Hell, he didn't even participate in any.
But I'd also like to add... look where that got us.

Yeah, and he managed to get fewer votes than a woman being actively investigated by the FBI.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The strategy is to keep picking young people with a lot of energy who can get the base excited for the future. And the demographics are moving that way in the entire country, but especially Texas.

The portion of the country that are old, white conservatives will continue to shrink. Eventually it will be too much for them to succeed running on trickle down and fear.
Agreed, the GOP backed itself into a corner that will lead to its inevitable demise, but there are hard conversations we still need to have and the only thing keeping the Democrat coalition energized is opposition to Trump, not necessarily alignment on ideas.

Democrats would have my vote for life if candidates like Seth Moulton or Conor Lamb received the same fanboy service as Beto.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Plenty of young, energetic talent to choose from. And demographics in Texas are definitely trending in the right direction.

yeah...all of those folks from CA who moved to TX to escape higher taxes are going to vote for the same people who caused them to leave CA...brilliant....

Last edited:

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012

Abraham Lincoln lost his first major race when he ran for state legislature. He ran again and won but then tried to run for speaker and lost. He also ran for Federal Congress and lost. He won the next time but lost his re-election. Then ran for the job of land officer in his home state, another lose. Then ran for Senate... and lost. Ran for Senate a 2nd time... and lost again. Then ran for president, and the rest is history.

So should Lincoln have given up after the first house race, the first or 2nd Senate run and lost?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
yeah...all of those CA who move to TX to escape higher taxes are going to vote for the same people who caused them to leave CA...brilliant....

Source? I thought biggest reason for people moving out of CA was related to real estate pricing not taxes.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
yeah...all of those CA who move to TX to escape higher taxes are going to vote for the same people who caused them to leave CA...brilliant....

CA is not moving to Texas to escape high taxes, they are moving to Texas to cash in on the cheap housing and low cost of living while still being able to get good jobs. Those are due more to the area then the politicians. Cost of living is CA is high because everyone wants to live there.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Source? I thought biggest reason for people moving out of CA was related to real estate pricing not taxes.

they are moving for many reasons and higher taxes (I never said it was the biggest reason) is just one of them....

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/new-yorkers-and-californians-cant-stop-moving-to-texas

California has the nation’s highest marginal income tax rate and ranks in the worst five for state and local tax burden while Texas has no income tax and ranks in the best five states for taxation means that Texas should continue to double California’s growth in the years to come.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Abraham Lincoln lost his first major race when he ran for state legislature. He ran again and won but then tried to run for speaker and lost. He also ran for Federal Congress and lost. He won the next time but lost his re-election. Then ran for the job of land officer in his home state, another lose. Then ran for Senate... and lost. Ran for Senate a 2nd time... and lost again. Then ran for president, and the rest is history.

So should Lincoln have given up after the first house race, the first or 2nd Senate run and lost?

So Beto is the second coming of Lincoln?

He ran in Texas and turned out lots of votes. Great.

OTOH he had $70m and was facing Ted Cruz. Everybody hates Cruz, yet Beto still lost.

But I'm going to believe that means he's able to knock out the guy who whooped Cruz?

He's free to run in the primary, but I'll be looking for a winner that can close the deal.
Results, not hype. He's got to show me.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
As brought up in another thread, Biden Beto would be a good combo. I just don't know if the Dems have the stomach for two white dudes.

I see this as a more realistic option. He's be a good VP and sit on the development team.

I don't see the gravitas and executive experience to go toe to toe with an incumbent POTUS, even if he's a know nothing dotard.

Running two white guys is a bit out of step with the direction the party is going in, otoh, is it really the problem of the D ticket in turning out women, or do they need to win back rust belt white men to ensure the Midwest is won back and they get the EC votes they need.

That's where the election will be decided. Not GA, not AZ, and likely not FL.

I know Joe will win PA and do well in that sector. He needs some youth and next gen energy to fill out the ticket.

If there is a ready to go female (that's not another senator) is like to see it. Soon. But IDK one ready for 2020.

Last edited:

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Just like Trump amirite? Rules have changed, I think he should go for it.

Robert better get started on his name recognition then. A few decades of being in the spotlight for different reasons will allow him to play by those new rules.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
CA is not moving to Texas to escape high taxes, they are moving to Texas to cash in on the cheap housing and low cost of living while still being able to get good jobs. Those are due more to the area then the politicians. Cost of living is CA is high because everyone wants to live there.

But if TX is such a shit hole which many of you liberals post constantly about, pretty ironic they are coming here....

maybe it isn't so bad after all...LOL

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

You do understand that the Dems only run on trickle down and fear? Fear of "Whitey" holding them back and waiting for the government to trickle down money from those rich liberals. I guess it's a mistake that several billionaires are liberal leaning and that they forgot to share the wealth.