Beto for 2020

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Beto lost this evening but he did a remarkable campaign. Is young, energetic, connects well, and would make a good presidential candidate imo. Who else is there? Elizabeth Warren is the only other that comes to mind but I think Trump would rip her to shreads to be honest.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I think you’ll be surprised. He almost beat one of the head figures of the Republican Party in a conservative state, that guy has what it takes to run. He’ll be back.

skooma

Apr 13, 2006
He almost won an improbable victory in extraordinary times where people such as myself, half the country away, sent him money to defeat a senator widely regarded as the least likeable member of congress. He still didn't win. Not taking anything away from him, but I don't think that makes him a serious presidential candidate.

He may come out and have a really nice platform but I wouldn't read much into tonight.

Reactions: DietDrThunder

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Trolls gonna troll.

Not trolling, legit post. I think Beto would make a good youthful candidate like Obama. After the disaster of Hillary the Dems need a new leader. Beto or Warren are good picks for that for different reasons. Some say Bernie but I disagree with that.

Reactions: 5to1baby1in5

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Not trolling, legit post. I think Beto would make a good youthful candidate like Obama. After the disaster of Hillary the Dems need a new leader. Beto or Warren are good picks for that for different reasons. Some say Bernie but I disagree with that.

Obama won his election to the Senate.

Reactions: NTMBK

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
And Dems seem reluctant to talk about it, what gives? He definitely made a national name for himself and appears to be liked more than Booker. I think he’s make a good candidate. Hell he might get my vote like Obama did.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Obama won his election to the Senate.
Yeah but I'm not sure that matters anymore.
-First O'Rourke has a little political experience and we are in a climate where less is more in terms of political baggage
-Secondly the race with cruz was very close (I actually expect it to tighten significantly as he is down about 200K votes but the largest county in texas and 3rd largest in the US which is voting his way by about +20 is <50% reported) and what you really need to win a presidential race is a good face and fund raising
-He's a good looking white guy that raises a lot of money and gets the young person vote. I personally don't need my presidential candidate to be a good looking white guy but certainly a lot of backwards people in this country still do.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
And Dems seem reluctant to talk about it, what gives? He definitely made a national name for himself and appears to be liked more than Booker. I think he’s make a good candidate. Hell he might get my vote like Obama did.
No one actually believes you voted for Obama.

Reactions: FIVR

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Agreed. I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Beto. He’s proven he can attract money, campaign, and get national excitement. Guy has what it takes imo, and I agree with the less is more sentiment.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
No one actually believes you voted for Obama.

Ok don’t believe it, not sure what to tell you. I voted for a Bush when I turned 18 and Obama twice. Believe whatever you want but that’s what happened. I also think by and large Obama was a good President.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
If beto ran for president, he'd get my vote over warren and certainly over bernie. I personally think bernie is about as responsible for trump as the GOP is.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I like him, but we'll see what happens. I have a feeling we need people like him in Texas to keep fighting the good fight while more Californians move in to gentrify it :)
How is Beto vs. Cornyn match up looking for 2020?

Reactions: hal2kilo

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If the Mid-Terms do anything, I hope it's that they bring some fresh faces to the front of the Democratic party.

There is a place for the older sausage makers like Pelosi and Schumer, the guys that really get the work done, but the party needs some energetic and vibrant fresh blood as the face of the party if it wants to keep people interested.

Whether that's Beto or someone else remains to be seen...

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Nice guys finish last.

Whether Beto runs for Cornyn's seat or sets his sights on a higher office, he will do two things very differently.

1) He will try to shed some of his progressive policies and run as more of a moderate (which some media outlets claim he should've done, since he's more comfortable as a moderate and that's what got him to the House in the first place.)

2) He will take a boatload of PAC money.

Basically, he won't be the same candidate. That kinda sucks, because people like Beto should be a shoe-in to win vs scumbags like Cruz.

Reactions: Jimzz

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
if this guy can be prez anyone can...

GIJlTUv.gif

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
On ABC news:
Twenty-two percent cast a ballot for the first time in a midterm election today, the most of any of the 21 states with exit polls today. They’re voting 52-45 percent, O’Rourke-Cruz

Thirteen percent are younger than 30, voting 71-29 percent, the largest Democratic margin among this group in available exit polls back to 1984, and surpassing their margin in the 2016 presidential election by 23 points. By contrast, seniors, 29 percent of the electorate, are voting 42-58 percent.
Time is on the Democrats side, even in Texas, if they don't blow it. Beto is a young man, he has a bright future, just not immediate future :)

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Prove you can win a regular season game before you roll into the Superbowl.
He seems to have forgotten that he was running in Texas and not nationally. Betomania peaked too early, and Cruz effectively dulled the momentum between his debate performance, DUI mug shot and anchoring him to all the celebrities gushing over the shiny object.

Reactions: Bitek