Best/worst computer brands.

CastletonSnob1

Apr 17, 2021
If you don't feel like building your own computer and would rather get a prebuilt, what are the best major computer brands? The worst?

Aug 16, 2021
Pretty much all of them are quite bad. Dell is probably the worst. Smaller boutique brands tend to be better, but not always.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I honestly dont know who the best brand is anymore. Alienware used to make great systems until they were bought by Dell or whomever.

Does Falcon Northwest still run themselves or did they get purchased?

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
If you don't feel like building your own computer and would rather get a prebuilt, what are the best major computer brands? The worst?
Best are OEM corporate brands like ThinkStation, ThinkCentre, Thinkpad which is Lenovo which used to be IBM. Since corporate buys thousands of PC and other services from the corporate division, they have to put in the best parts in the industry or they risk loosing their business to another OEM like Dell’s Precision line or HP’s Z line if the PC breakdown, killing business for their clients.

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
everyone seems to dislike Dell. I like the though, havent had any problems with ones i have bought. I buy them off their outlet when they have coupon codes. can save quite a bit. I think in 10+ years i have only had to use their warranty service twice and didnt have any issues when i did. I currently have a alienware ryzen laptop.

Reactions: Dee67

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Best are OEM corporate brands like ThinkStation, ThinkCentre, Thinkpad which is Lenovo which used to be IBM. Since corporate buys thousands of PC and other services from the corporate division, they have to put in the best parts in the industry or they risk loosing their business to another OEM like Dell’s Precision line or HP’s Z line if the PC breakdown, killing business for their clients.
Oh really? :rolleyes:
https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...therboards-like-lenovo.2559129/#post-39694720

Reactions: Harry_Wild

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
everyone seems to dislike Dell. I like the though, havent had any problems with ones i have bought. I buy them off their outlet when they have coupon codes. can save quite a bit. I think in 10+ years i have only had to use their warranty service twice and didnt have any issues when i did. I currently have a alienware ryzen laptop.
The problem with Dell is that they have such a wide variety of products, for both personal and business use. Some of there products are fine: their monitors are generally quite nice, they have some nice laptops such as the XPS13, and some of their business PCs are good. On the other hand, some of their custom home PCs leave much to be desired.

I just bought a couple of Dell PCs: a 3090 and 7090 Ultra. I bought them for their form factors, which are unique and work really well. However, one issue with Dell is that their website really sucks, as is their configuration and ordering system. I also wish they would do a better job co-ordinating what they sell so that their products work better with each other.

Overall, one has to be careful when buying from Dell, but there are some good products among the bad.

Reactions: Dee67

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I don't even know if they exist any longer, but for the worst entries, my vote(s) are Compaq and E-machines.

Dell does decently with business or enterprise-class, just not all of the end-consumer products they pump out a billion of every year (in my xp).

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
The problem with Dell is that they have such a wide variety of products, for both personal and business use. Some of there products are fine: their monitors are generally quite nice, they have some nice laptops such as the XPS13, and some of their business PCs are good. On the other hand, some of their custom home PCs leave much to be desired.

I just bought a couple of Dell PCs: a 3090 and 7090 Ultra. I bought them for their form factors, which are unique and work really well. However, one issue with Dell is that their website really sucks, as is their configuration and ordering system. I also wish they would do a better job co-ordinating what they sell so that their products work better with each other.

Overall, one has to be careful when buying from Dell, but there are some good products among the bad.

Are there any web pages that list the business products?

I'm likely to buy used or refurb from wherever I find it, so that would be a good thing to check on what sort of product it is. Dell has so much stuff I get lost whenever I look at their site.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
Are there any web pages that list the business products?

I'm likely to buy used or refurb from wherever I find it, so that would be a good thing to check on what sort of product it is. Dell has so much stuff I get lost whenever I look at their site.
When you first go onto Dell’s site, when you mouse over one of the product categories, you are presented with a submenu of home or business. However, even this doesn’t really help because many products work for both personal and business use. Ultimately, you have to judge each product on its own merit.

Reactions: Pohemi

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
EK is the best boutique - High end OCable parts, full hard line water cooling for only like a $300 premuium if you bought the parts and tried it.

HP Omen for mass market

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
EK is the best boutique - High end OCable parts, full hard line water cooling for only like a $300 premuium if you bought the parts and tried it.
Wowzers, definitely premium pricing. I know the GPU market is still upside down with crazy prices, high demand and low supply, etc...but a Ryzen 5 and it's priced at $3000? Jeebus, that just seems wrong. :laughing: