Best way to unlock att iPhone 4s

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Question,

I was just about to buy an unlock from ebay for my 4s, but they clearly say that in order to unlock, you must use a foreign sim card. For example if you are unlocking an At&t phone you must use a t-mobile sim. This defies the whole point.How would I have a foreign sim, if I'm on att? Is there any way to do this without a foreign sim?

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
Question,

I was just about to buy an unlock from ebay for my 4s, but they clearly say that in order to unlock, you must use a foreign sim card. For example if you are unlocking an At&t phone you must use a t-mobile sim. This defies the whole point.How would I have a foreign sim, if I'm on att? Is there any way to do this without a foreign sim?

Perhaps there's no way for the phone to ask you for an unlock code if it isn't prompted by the presence of a sim that would require the unlock?

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Question,

That actually does not defy the whole point at all and makes perfect sense. The one and only reason why you need a phone unlocked is when you wanted to use a foreign SIM on the phone. If you're on AT&T and using an AT&T locked phone, why would you need the phone to be unlocked?

Having said that, phones can use different methods to unlock. 90% of the time the prompting of 'enter unlock code' will only appear when you inserted a foreign SIM on a SIM-locked phone, however some phones do have these 'secret codes' that you typed that will trigger that prompt to come out without inserting a foreign SIM card. You'll have to research your specific phone if it provides something like this.