Best way to troubleshoot a Inspiron Mini 10 that won't power on?

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
My wife's cousin brought me a little mini 10 which appears to be dead. It is a second hand laptop and all I have is the laptop, an aftermarket power cord and a mouse.

Plugging it in does not appear to power the laptop...no power indicator at all with or without the battery installed.

What is the easiest way to see if the ac adapter is dead or if it is just a dead laptop?

Any advice is appreciated before I waste time taking it apart.

Thanks,

Lee

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I would suspect the AC adapter first. I would see if any of my friends have a compatible adapter to try.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
I thought he same...and I have no friends...so that is out of the option...

Any place like Radio Shack let me try an adapter before I toss the coin down?

can you run a power test on an adapter? If so what is the best method?

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
I was also wondering if a place like batteries plus would test the laptop battery to see if it holds a charge or not...

Anyone ever tried this?

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I thought he same...and I have no friends...so that is out of the option...

Any place like Radio Shack let me try an adapter before I toss the coin down?

can you run a power test on an adapter? If so what is the best method?

really is no testing other than it works or not. if it included an aftermarket ac adapter as a secondhand unit, i would suspect that the original owner burned, destroyed, or ruined the original and bought a replacement, which in my experience are usually pieces of shit.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
If you have a multimeter laying around, you can test whether or not the AC adapter has voltage on the DC side. If it doesn't, you know that it's dead.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
took it to the Shack after work...they were nice enough to pull out a universal charger...took 2 minutes and it started powering the battery...the laptop works just fine.

SO I am off to buy an inexpensive charger!

Thanks for the info!

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
glad to hear that it was just the adapter and nothing more serious.

So is my wife's cousin who literally had this thing sitting around for 1 year not using it...

She was mad but happy. Should have the new power cord in a week from Amazon...love the deal I got. .66 adapter...with 6 dollars shipping lol.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
So is my wife's cousin who literally had this thing sitting around for 1 year not using it...

She was mad but happy. Should have the new power cord in a week from Amazon...love the deal I got. .66 adapter...with 6 dollars shipping lol.

You're damn lucky that the battery still holds a charge, if it hasn't been charged in a year. I had something similar happen to me, the battery is stone-cold dead now.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
You're damn lucky that the battery still holds a charge, if it hasn't been charged in a year. I had something similar happen to me, the battery is stone-cold dead now.

Well, to be fair, he only tested it at Radio Shack. Who knows how long it will last on a full charge.