Best way to test a used video card for defects, artifacts?

PremiumG

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2001
What's the best way to test a video card to make sure it works ok?

I know of ATITool which can detect artifacts and looping 3D Mark and watching it to make sure its ok.

Is there a better program/method?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Furmark is for gpus like, Linpack for cpus. Use it with lots of AA and for a long time and it will surely detect any anomalies. Anyway, the best test is still the real life situation: games.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
If you're not overclocking, just play games... If it artifacts at all, it's defective and needs to be RMAed.

PremiumG

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2001
Well one problem i'm having is that the card does artifact in games.

However, it seems there's a problem with the driver. No matter what, the GPU fan stays at 30%. When temperatures go up significantly, it still stays at 30%.

I'm using a 8800GT with Vista 64 and newest Nvidia drivers. Is there something I have to adjust to up the fan speed? I have it set on auto right now in the Nvidia Control Panel, but it doesn't work automatically! I'd hate to have to adjust it manually everytime right before I play a game.

I know about Nvidia profiles, but I'd also hate to have to set it up for every game.

g8wayrebel

Nov 15, 2004
If you have to do it manually , just set up a hardware profile for games on your system and go to it anytime you play.
You can also disable all the background stuff to get more out of your system in game profile while you're at it.
http://www.blackviper.com/ is a good place to go to see what you can turn off and how to set up the profile in windows.

scheibler1

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
download rivatuner. You can set the fan speeds manually. Just leave to fans @ 30% while not gaming and then when you want to game switch to 50-70%

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: PremiumG
Well one problem i'm having is that the card does artifact in games.

However, it seems there's a problem with the driver. No matter what, the GPU fan stays at 30%. When temperatures go up significantly, it still stays at 30%.

I'm using a 8800GT with Vista 64 and newest Nvidia drivers. Is there something I have to adjust to up the fan speed? I have it set on auto right now in the Nvidia Control Panel, but it doesn't work automatically! I'd hate to have to adjust it manually everytime right before I play a game.

I know about Nvidia profiles, but I'd also hate to have to set it up for every game.

It is a possibility that your card is damaged. The 30% fan speed is standard on every 8800 GT card with the stock single slot cooler. No matter what happens it never increase its speed. However, even though the card hits very high temperatures ( 80-95 C ) it still performs as it should. Mine use to get to around 86 C, but that didn't stopped me from playing Crysis.

So, yeah, try Riva Tuner and increase the fan speed, but....it might not get you anywhere. We'll wait for your input . ;)

PremiumG

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: error8

It is a possibility that your card is damaged. The 30% fan speed is standard on every 8800 GT card with the stock single slot cooler. No matter what happens it never increase its speed. However, even though the card hits very high temperatures ( 80-95 C ) it still performs as it should. Mine use to get to around 86 C, but that didn't stopped me from playing Crysis.

So, yeah, try Riva Tuner and increase the fan speed, but....it might not get you anywhere. We'll wait for your input . ;)

30% fan speed standard - do you mean to say that the fan's speed is not suppose to change when running intense 3D games? I thought auto mode means the fan's speed should change depending on the load (i.e. like on a CPU HS/F)

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
8800GTs had this bug where the fan was stuck at 29%. BIOS revisions have fixed it. But I don't even have a fan connected to my 8800GT, so I don't care.