Best way to teach myself guitar?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I've always wanted to learn to play guitar but can't afford to take professional lessons or anything.

I know there are software programs you can use to teach you, there are youtube video series that try to teach you, and I'm sure there are books to teach you as well. However, I have no idea what works and what doesn't.

Just wondering if anyone here has taught themselves to play guitar and what worked.

Thanks.

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
I used Apple's Garage Band software. Believe it or not, it excels at teaching the fundamentals of music theory, and is easy to learn and use. I didn't need to take any lessons from so-called professionals, I was able to teach myself using my Macbook pro and Garage Band.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
lessons to get your fingering down. Otherwise you'll end up doing what’s easy instead of what's proper, and you'll have all sorts of issues down the road.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Youtube isn't bad, believe it or not. There are a lot of lessons available from a lot of really good players, and I've learned some cool stuff from there.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Buy a beat up six string from a secondhand store. Make sure it feels good in your hand. It really doesn't take too long to understand particularly if you sling that guitar way down low that it is really the one way to go. Then you just have to start rockin' and be sure not to stop. Then just keep on rockin' and you might make it to the top.

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Here's a question. Is there a way to play without growing your nails or developing callouses?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I already have a guitar. Was a hand me down. And I know a few chords that I learned from a software program I have. But just never took it any further as that was a few years ago.

I'll check out a few of those links.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Here's a question. Is there a way to play without growing your nails or developing callouses?

You're going to get callouses, but you don't have to grow your nails to play finger-style. Sure, it would be easier and sound better, but not doing so isn't going to stop you from learning the guitar.

Willy Duet

Jan 14, 2005
Buy a beat up six string from a secondhand store. Make sure it feels good in your hand. It really doesn't take too long to understand particularly if you sling that guitar way down low that it is really the one way to go. Then you just have to start rockin' and be sure not to stop. Then just keep on rockin' and you might make it to the top.

Thank you Mr. Jukebox Hero

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played 'til my fingers bled
It was summer of '69

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I learned how to read tab and picked up the songs I liked at first.

Really depends on how you want to go about it and what your goal is. There are a lot of "proper" ways to do it, but if that isn't what you care about or what you're going for, just go with what you want to do.

Last edited:

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this
http://www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/
Be sure to also read the forum at Learn & Master Guitar because it makes the lessons much more productive.
Plus another vote for Justin Sandercoe, great vids & forum.

Something else which really helped me in the beginning was Rock-tips, it's a superglue like substance you put on the pads of your fingers until you develop callouses. So many people quit in the beginning because it so frustrating trying to play clear notes with callouses.