Best way to sell high end guitars?

ProchargeMe

Jun 2, 2012
UPDATE WITH PICS!!

I have about 9 high end guitars I need to get rid of and need advice on selling them. I'm not a ebay user and I don't really want to be, also Craigslist can be shady and flaky. As of right now all I'm doing is asking people I know to ask around for me but almost every guitar I have retails between $800 -$5000 and they're very hard to sell. The music stores I've tried have told me they aren't interested or they try to low ball me on quality instruments. I'm at a loss here and just sitting on money I could use for things I actually need. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
will the music store let you post a flyer? They should have a board for lessons. Is there one for 2nd hand equipment?

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I have about 9 high end guitars I need to get rid of and need advice on selling them. I'm not a ebay user and I don't really want to be, also Craigslist can be shady and flaky. As of right now all I'm doing is asking people I know to ask around for me but almost every guitar I have retails between $800 -$5000 and they're very hard to sell. The music stores I've tried have told me they aren't interested or they try to low ball me on quality instruments. I'm at a loss here and just sitting on money I could use for things I actually need. Any advice would be appreciated.

PM me if you have any interesting acoustics (vintage Martin, Taylor, or Gibson for example).

Clump

May 12, 2009
Check out - http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?

You have to buy a paid membership to list things in the emporium, but it's $12 for a year. Lots of people buying and selling high end guitars here. Check out some of the ads to see what kind of pictures and descriptions to put. Pricing can be hard to figure out. You can check completed ebay listings for similar guitars and go from there.

ProchargeMe

Jun 2, 2012
PM me if you have any interesting acoustics (vintage Martin, Taylor, or Gibson for example).

When I get home from work I'll try to remember to PM you I have some nice Martins and a Gibson but I with all the guitars I have it's hard to remember the specific models. I think the martins are d35 and one is the Johnny cash limited production but I'll have to get back to you on specifics

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
When I get home from work I'll try to remember to PM you I have some nice Martins and a Gibson but I with all the guitars I have it's hard to remember the specific models. I think the martins are d35 and one is the Johnny cash limited production but I'll have to get back to you on specifics

Please do, definitely would like to see what you have.

PastTense

Jan 31, 2014
Do a google search for the specific models you have. When you read through the results you should see the selling venues for those products.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
What kind of gear?

Also, I'm an admin over at thegearpage.net so I second that recommendation. You need to make a set number of posts before you can use the emporiums but you'll get a good price there typically since it's other musicians that know the worth. You will get ripped off at a store no question.

ProchargeMe

Jun 2, 2012
azuraga9.jpg

yqu5edup.jpg

9u2y8apu.jpg

naru8y8y.jpg

yqyru7e7.jpg

ProchargeMe

Jun 2, 2012
Ooooh yea, that Gretsch and the BSB Tele....

The gretsch and the les paul are probably my 2 favorites of the electric guitars, they're powerhouses. Among the acoustics I like both martins over the Gibson, especially the J. Cash model, but the sj200 is a good damn guitar.

Also I'm not entirely sure what specific model the tele is, I actually inherited the tele and I'm not sure it it's the AV52 or not, and the only papers I got with it were the instruction booklets and care guides about fender products, not the specific model. Any help on that would be awesome.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2005
The gretsch and the les paul are probably my 2 favorites of the electric guitars, they're powerhouses. Among the acoustics I like both martins over the Gibson, especially the J. Cash model, but the sj200 is a good damn guitar.

Also I'm not entirely sure what specific model the tele is, I actually inherited the tele and I'm not sure it it's the AV52 or not, and the only papers I got with it were the instruction booklets and care guides about fender products, not the specific model. Any help on that would be awesome.

Check the Fender forums and here's a helpful link.
http://www.fender.com/support/articles/u-s-instruments-product-dating/

I can test that Tele out for a few months and get back to you ():)

Feb 16, 2005
Good luck with the sale and you're better off selling on a respected forum than to a mom & pop shop, they'll give you 50% - 70% value at most.