Best way to preserve digital pictures for years to come?

DrumminBoy

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2002
I have thousands of pictures I've taken throughout high school, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to preserve all of them so I could view them later in life. Burning a cd/dvd was my first thought, but I'm not sure that there will be hardware around in 20-30 years to read them. Any suggestions?

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
You can't plan that far into the future with computers, just burn a dvd, and then when time comes back them up to a better solution.

IamElectro

Golden Member
Jul 15, 2003
Put them on DVD.. And change them to new media as it comes along. Look at VHS its still around (dying fast) but its technology lasted 25 years.

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Keep them on your hard drive with an optical backup of your choice. Or find a hella good webhost and upload them all there and hope they're still around later!

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Don't burn a dvd, too unreliable at this point. Try a Taiyo Yuden CD-R, with multiple burns, stored multiple places, on multiple discs

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Hundreds of 3.5" Floppy Disks :D

I'd go the CD/DVD route, with an extra copy thrown in a fireproof safe. ;)

Dec 4, 2002
Get a dvd burner, burn all pictures to dvds & why are you worrying about 15 years from now. When a new type of media comes out, just transfer them over...jebus

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
Originally posted by: CheapArse
Get a dvd burner, burn all pictures to dvds & why are you worrying about 15 years from now. When a new type of media comes out, just transfer them over...jebus

^ Agreed

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Burn them to CD/DVD, and reburn them onto new disks in every couple of years. The life of CD/DVDs at the moment isn't really enough to reliably save data for years :)

And if anything new comes out, then you can just reburn them on that too :)

Confused

Bassyhead

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Snapster
Originally posted by: CheapArse

^ Agreed

yup just transfer to newer better media in the future

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Burn to DVD/CD as everyone says. How you store CDs does affect the life of the CD. It is recommended you store them in a cool, dark room and don't use sticky labels.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Erase a portion of your memory and upload them there. Keanu Reeves carried several gigabytes, albeit with nasty side effects.

crimson117

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: wyvrn
Erase a portion of your memory and upload them there. Keanu Reeves carried several gigabytes, albeit with nasty side effects.
Yeah, but those side effects wouldn't have been present if he'd had more than half a brain to begin with.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: dquan97
what about an external HD?

Hard drives aren't designed to be turned on/off every now and then. They work best when always running.

What I said above is the best method. EOT

Confused