Best way to prepare frozen crab legs??

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I got some frozen king crab legs from the grocery store this afternoon. I've never fixed crab legs before, so how do I go about doing so?

Steam, boil? And for how long? I have two pounds of legs.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
I just steam them for however long it takes to thaw them completely.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fu:confused:zzybabybunny

I was talking to my dad and he had no clue. My mom has only fixed live crabs and she suggested putting the frozen legs in a tiny bit of water, vinegar and some old bay in large pot and steaming them for a while.

I just don't know how long I'm supposed to steam them for

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Ahhhh, found something:

How to cook crab legs
So, to sum up how you cook our crab legs - Add about 2 inches of water to the biggest pot you have (big enough to fit frozen crab legs). Add some salt to imitate sea water. When water boils, add crab legs. Cover with lid, or with aluminum foil if crab legs are sticking up. When water boils again, steam snow crab legs for 10 minutes, and king crab legs for 15 minutes. Drain water and let crab legs sit covered for a couple of minutes before serving.

Serve with garlic butter - chop garlic and place in small dish. Add butter. Microwave until melted. Let sit for a few, then reheat before serving.

Be aware that depending on how much crab you are cooking, it may take some time to bring the water back to a boil after adding frozen crab. Also, if the crab has a glaze, are covered with a thin layer of ice, add 5 minutes to the steam time. If you do not have a good tight lid and a good supply of steam you are better off giving the crab legs some extra time in the pot.

With some products you just have to reheat crab legs, but I prefer frozen crab legs that need to cook a few minutes more to release from the shell for that fresh caught flavor. Directions are generally on the original box for all frozen crab, so if you buy your crab at a super market the person behind the counter will be able to give you directions.

You can check that the crab leg is cooked by moving the middle leg joint. If it moves freely, the meat releases from the tendon and is done.

Sounds like a winner! :D

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: fu:confused:zzybabybunny

I was talking to my dad and he had no clue. My mom has only fixed live crabs and she suggested putting the frozen legs in a tiny bit of water, vinegar and some old bay in large pot and steaming them for a while.

I just don't know how long I'm supposed to steam them for

Whoa, how did I get the confused face in my name? :p

I'm assuming the crab legs are already cooked, just frozen? I would just steam it for 10-15 minutes? All you're doing is dethawing it.

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
thaw + steam for 10-15 minutes. Do not immerse in water as that would remove any of the awesome flavor of crab legs... no flavor necessary, dip in garlic butter upon eating :)