Best way to move HD to new system

Farley2k

Jan 5, 2003
I figure this is mostly about the OS so I put it here.

I am getting a new MB soon and I do not want to reformat my HD before using it in the new system. I have around 40 gigs of stuff and no way to back it all up, so I am not going to format the drive.

So what is the best way to move it?

Should I go into device manager and remove all the MB devices (under system I think) then power down, move the HD to the new system and let XP do the detecting,

or

Should I just move it and let XP sort it out?

or

Is there an even better third option?

snidy1

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2003
I would get a new HD for the new MB and use the old one for storing the stuff that you need. It's best to always format if you change motherboards to prevent problems down the road.

Farley2k

Jan 5, 2003
if cost were not important that would be good but I am not going to spring for a new HD right now.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
You should be okay if you remove all the devices etc.

But it is not 100% safe, some mobos are more picky then others and you might get a BSOD on bootup.

The only way to make sure that your data will not get lost will be to make a backup, or buy a new drive and use the current one as storage.

rmrf

Platinum Member
May 14, 2003
definitely make a backup of the drive/data if possible. depending on what OS you are currently using, you could use sysprep to strip the devices on your system, and when you put the drive on the new motherboard, it will search for devices and install the correct drivers if they are available.

kamper

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
this is why you partition before installing windows

how much free space do you have left on the drive? if it were, say, 40gb, you could defrag, split into 2 partitions, move the stuff you want to keep, and then wipe the first partition. If it's less space then you could use what you've got and then resize the partitions and repeat until it's all moved. Of course, if you're almost full this will take way too long.

you don't have a cd burner or anything? you could back all that up for a few bucks if you did