best way to keep in contact with significant other travelling in europe?

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
my wife and a few of her girlfriends are planning a trip to europe ... since it's a small group of girls, I'm a little worried 'what if something happens'

what's the best way to keep in contact to make sure they're safe as they hop from city to city? aside from email ... I'm guessing their cell phones won't work there?

Any suggestions?

tbike06

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2006
If you have a unlocked GSM cell phone, they can get a sim card over there and use prepaid cards i think

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
If they have GSM phones I think you can buy prepaid SIM cards over there... but I really have no idea, I just recall hearing that here.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
If they are going to France/Italy...and the phones are off...

Well...say hello to the frenchman :( :beer:

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Assuming you have an unlocked tri/quad band phone:

You can buy international prepaid sim cards here link

Huge markup, but they don't have to waste time looking for a shop there and you'll know their number before they leave.

You could also just use your US sim there and roam, rates are like $1/min but for quick contact it would be easiest.

LordSnailz

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
ah, I'll look into the GSM phone thing ... I wanted something like a cell phone just in case they get robbed or lost and can't fine a phone or anything ... dunno, maybe I'm being a little paranoid.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: LordSnailz
ah, I'll look into the GSM phone thing ... I wanted something like a cell phone just in case they get robbed or lost and can't fine a phone or anything ... dunno, maybe I'm being a little paranoid.

Maybe a little:p

But the cell phone will make their life easier too, no more leaving notes at the front desk or spending hours looking for one another.

Aug 25, 2004
Cheap unlocked GSM phone + local prepaid SIM card.

If you/your wife have T-Mobile, call customer service and tell them you're going to Europe and want to unlock your phone. They're usually cool with this. Once your phone is unlocked, you can buy any prepaid SIM card for Europe and be on your merry way.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
When I went to europe, i just had international dialing actived on my tmobile phone

DaFinn

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Any unlocked tri/quad band GSM works here. If you have tmobile, there is no need to even unlock. As miri said " i just had international dialing actived on my tmobile phone "

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
Originally posted by: DaFinn
Any unlocked tri/quad band GSM works here. If you have tmobile, there is no need to even unlock. As miri said " i just had international dialing actived on my tmobile phone "

DaFinn...... what up? Have not seen you around for a while.

When my sister went on her 1 year around the world trip....... she had a gsm phone (not unlocked) that worked for her pretty much everywhere.

Cheers,
Aquaman

Jun 27, 2005
When my boss' daughters went to Europe they checked in every day via cell phone. Just check your service and make sure it's active in Europe.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Phone cards provide cheap rates. For a couple euros you can get up to an hour or so of talking time. Usually a much better deal than prepaid phones.