Best way to keep a dog from digging under fence?

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
A neighbor of mine has a pitbull and a chain link fenced yard. The pitbull is nice, does'nt bark, etc. It is a very nice Pitbull.
BUT.....................

Most of the neighbors that live around the people with the dog are mad because the dog keeps digging under the fence, going into their yards and digging in their yards, flower beds, etc.
After a couple times of the dog doing this, the owners just let him roam the neighborhood and have done nothing to try to keep the dog inside their own yard. I suppose they gave up!

How do you keep a dog that likes to dig, inside a chain link fence? Any commercial product available?

I heard one way was to bury some type of fencing close to the fence so that when the dog reached it, it could dig no further. Or perhaps use an invisible dog fence (w/electric collar) set to the same size as the back yard?

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Electric fence = one of the best investments I've ever made.

Which type?
Wireless, or the one where you bury a small gauge wire around the perimeter?

I should'nt be doing this research, but the people with the dog are clueless!

Nov 5, 2001
just call animal control next time he gets out. eventually they will take responsibility or lose the animal.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
The dog is bored, he doesn't get enough attention/exercise.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
just call animal control next time he gets out. eventually they will take responsibility or lose the animal.

I was looking into this and have actually emailed a couple in the area, but want to try and resolve it peacefully first and offer suggestions this spring.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
You people severely lack creativity. Hammer some long spikes or rebar into the ground, tie them to the fence, or link them together with wood and U shaped nails.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats

I was looking into this and have actually emailed a couple in the area, but want to try and resolve it peacefully first and offer suggestions this spring.

you will regret not doing so if that dog goes on to injure someone or be injured itsself while raoming free.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Originally posted by: CorCentral
Originally posted by: Sphexi
Landmines.

Or, just bury the fence down a foot or so.

That's what I would've done and a great idea, but their fence is already installed.

Okay...they could always try some training then? If he likes digging so much, pick a far off corner of the yard, make a small dirty pit there for him to dig in, throw in some bones and toys and whatnot, let him go wild there, instead of under the fence. That and a little bit of active training on their part (training collar?) and maybe they won't have to invest much in changing their fence?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
<insert obligatory "Shoot the dog" comment>

There's not much you can really do.
Yes, you could dig up your yard and install fencing below the existing fence...(expensive option)
You can just call animal control every time it happens...let them handle it...(make it expensive for the owners)
You could try cayenne pepper around the perimeter of your property, but it washes off and will need to be redone regularly.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: TallBill
2 options for "best". Kill dog or take down fence.

Thanks for trolling.

Best option as you have mentioned would be to bury some fencing a 12-16 inches below the current fence. Or possible use landscaping lumber logs and bury those.

Another option would be to attach the dog to a runner that ran along the fence so it couldn't get close enough to fence.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Why should you have to pay anything to keep the neighbor's dog out of YOUR yard? Just call animal control when it happens and make it the city's problem.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Injury
Why should you have to pay anything to keep the neighbor's dog out of YOUR yard? Just call animal control when it happens and make it the city's problem.

I like this idea.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I did the invisible fence thing. I tried everything else to keep mine from going under the fence and thats the only thing that has worked. I'm way to lazy to bury the wire and it wouldn't have worked out for my layout anyway so I just ran the wire through the loops in the chain link fence. Works great. Cost $120 give or take for the kit at Home Depot.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: thedarkwolf
I did the invisible fence thing. I tried everything else to keep mine from going under the fence and thats the only thing that has worked. I'm way to lazy to bury the wire and it wouldn't have worked out for my layout anyway so I just ran the wire through the loops in the chain link fence. Works great. Cost $120 give or take for the kit at Home Depot.

But this is not his dog...it's the neighbor's dog...and it doesn't sound like they really care enough to fix the problem themselves.