Best way to Invest 10 grand..

Futher

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2002
I recently aquired 10 thousand dollars, and I need ideas on how to INVEST my money to receive the highest interest possible. Notice how I said invest, not spend =) Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
If you want it to be secure, then I would look into CD's. You might be able to find something with a rate around 5 or 6 percent.

jurzdevil

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2002
just throw it in a bank account with interest. may not be a high return but should be stable.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Futher
I recently aquired 10 thousand dollars, and I need ideas on how to INVEST my money to receive the highest interest possible. Notice how I said invest, not spend =) Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

if you have the time. i think you could make some nice size in the market.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
When do you expect to need the money? Can't really make any recommendations without knowing that.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

www.ingdirect.com

FeathersMcGraw

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2001
1 to 2 years at most. No long term CD's or investing

There are CDs with 1-2 year investment periods, but I doubt the rates will be much better than a savings account.

The way the market is now, I really wouldn't invest any significant amount of money in anything but a money-market fund if the time period in which you need to have your money available is only a couple of years. Otherwise, you run the risk that your investments will have lost value by the time you need the funds without any time to make up for losses.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Put it all in one stock...preferrably a high tech/biotech or pharmaceutical. Don't go for blue chips...look for small companies under the radar that are lobbying the FDA for approval of a new drug or procedure...

Dznuts007

Apr 26, 2000
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Put it all on black.

Hah hah...I was like "???" then I suddenly got that.

The best way for you to invest money is for you to do research and find out all these different ways rather than listening to one person telling you to "do this".

Look into IRA's, look into stocks, CD's, mutual funds, etc.

Alot of people are saying not to invest in stocks right now because they're not doing so well. Well, do you want to invest when stocks are doing very well and prices are high? No, I would try to accumulate when prices are low and wait until the market recovers (how ever long that will take). Buy stocks that YOU think are going to do well, but remember to research it first.

If it's the bank account approach you want to take, Ford Financial has a 3% money market account which is higher than what a bank will give you, but you have to maintain $10,000 or more. Ford Financial.com

Another site to check out interest rates is Bankrate.com

Good luck and may you invest your money safely and prosper. Good that you're not spending it. It's funny that when someone is given money they're prepared to throw it all away...

fishingeek

Jan 1, 2001
Look for a house to buy as a rental. The house will appreciate and you will have someone else paying the morgage for you.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: fishingeek
Look for a house to buy as a rental. The house will appreciate and you will have someone else paying the morgage for you.

if you can buy a house for ten gand, you risk it being boarded up by the police as a crackhouse

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
When you say "aquired" it sounds like you stole it :p

I dont have much financial advise, but just dont spend it all, or dont goto vegas with it.

LOLyourFace

Banned
Jun 1, 2002
a question for you guys.

doesn't money inflate about 2-3% every year? if you earn 3% a year in a CD, what's the point? You barely beat it's original value just for not spending them..

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
are you that guy that got 10k for a slip and fell injury that someone mentioned on here? ;)

xuanman

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Dznuts007
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
Put it all on black.

Look into IRA's, look into stocks, CD's, mutual funds, etc.

to Futher: definitely do not put money into an IRA if you are looking at a 1-2 year time horizon.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
Put it all in one stock...preferrably a high tech/biotech or pharmaceutical. Don't go for blue chips...look for small companies under the radar that are lobbying the FDA for approval of a new drug or procedure...

haha, good idea

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Umm, ok I'll cut you a deal. You give me say... five thousand, you keep the other half and give it to me when I give you your half back. This way you'll be sure to get the five thousand back. We can work out any details over e-mail, I'm sure we can reach some kind of deal. Oh, and I have 4 years of experience in lending/loaning money like this to countless middle school and high school kids. Don't worry, I won't rip you off.

;)