Best way to increase wifi speed on wireless Roku 3 and normal Roku Premiere with ATT 1 Gbps fiber

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
When ATT came out to install it they could only activate 4 ethernet ports in the house. They didn't bring a switch/hub

We have over 4 roku devices.

Right now my Roku 3 and normal Roku Premiere only gets around 8 Mbps to 15 Mbps wireless speed.

They are far from the ATT Router/gateway and extra repeater.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
When ATT came out to install it they could only activate 4 ethernet ports in the house. They didn't bring a switch/hub

Right now my Roku 3 and normal Roku Premiere only gets around 8 Mbps to 15 Mbps wireless speed.

They are far from the ATT Router/gateway and extra repeater.

So do you have MORE LAN ports that CAN be enabled to the roukus if you get a switch?

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com

What do you mean by 'activate'? If all you need is a switch to get more ethernet ports, that's the fastest solution by far.

We have a roku and stream 4k all the time without a hiccup over wired 100Mbit. If you can get gigabit to it, even better. This will be your best solution by far.

Reactions: pcslookout

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What do you mean by 'activate'? If all you need is a switch to get more ethernet ports, that's the fastest solution by far.

We have a roku and stream 4k all the time without a hiccup over wired 100Mbit. If you can get gigabit to it, even better. This will be your best solution by far.

Iirc, wired on rokus is limited to 100mbit either way. Regardless, I still have mine wired

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007

True.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I have most of our rokus wired too.

Ok, but the question in referring to is whether or not you have more wired ports you can enable in the house if you add a switch, and if those ports are near the wireless rokus.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Ok, but the question in referring to is whether or not you have more wired ports you can enable in the house if you add a switch, and if those ports are near the wireless rokus.

Yes I already do that in 2 of the offices but there is 2 other ports in the master bedroom and kitchen that are not active. I don't know how to do that.

4 ports are already active. 3 offices and 1 living room.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yes I already do that in 2 of the offices but there is 2 other ports in the master bedroom and kitchen that are not active. I don't know how to do that.

4 ports are already active. 3 offices and 1 living room.

You would need to add a switch. Use it to make a lan-to-lan connection from the att device to the switch, plug in wires to new switch and remaining 3 ports on att device.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I don't think it is that simple.

K then, lol. If you would like further verification, try to activate the run with the current att device and then just move the cables back. Pictures of a your stuff would help us help you.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yea, that phone guy did not do good. Lol...so I agree it won't be that simple. None of that should be joined in that way. Dunno what your skill is with this stuff, if your comfortable with network cabling, crimp tools etc, it's fixable. Probably spend less than $100 bucks for parts and tools to make it right. The guy who did that is an animal.

Most of your time would be spent planning it out.

Edit: the good news is that you have nice wall plates, and it looks like you have cat5e from them into your basement. (Please confirm cable type, cat5? Cat5e? Stranded (might say "patch") or solid (might say "riser")

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The first 3 pics are in the attic, right?

There is no way AT&T or any ISP engineers will do that for you. It's your own responsibility to find a local professional to do the proper inside wiring. And that looks terrible.

Believe those white ones are phone lines to each room, and black ones are ethernet cables.

In 4th pic, yellow cable is to AT&T. Black ones are ethernet cables to each room.

And what's that device in pic 5, a wifi extender? And why it's hanged in the air? And why another white box on the right hand side? Is it an ethernet connection box? Why it's hanged in the air too?

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
@mxnerd , I think that's his fiber drop, see the little green cable, and then on the right is a Ethernet drop that runs to the main att device, see yellow cable in pic 4

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
@mxnerd , I think that's his fiber drop, see the little green cable, and then on the right is a Ethernet drop that runs to the main att device, see yellow cable in pic 4

OK. Thanks. Wondering why they don't use double sided tape to stick the box to the wall.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
OK. Thanks. Wondering why they don't use double sided tape to stick the box to the wall.

Yea, it's the same design as the old phone jacks. Double sided tape would be perfect, better than a drywall screw.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
OP needs to find out whether phone and/or ethernet wall jacks are installed in each room. phone jack are 4/6 pins and ethernet port are 8 pins.

If there is ethernet wall jack and it's connected in each room, OP can just buy wifi extender I posted above or any other brand. Or buy any cheap router and run them in AP mode. Or UBNT AP.

If it's not connected, OP definitely need to find a local pro to do the proper wiring.

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
That wiring is terrible. Unfortunately, it will require rewiring to fix correctly. Or, if it's working, have the same person come in and continues the same mess for the other two ports even though it's usually not a good idea to hire someone to make the same mistake again. But in this case it may actually be a cheap bandaid that works.

Or you can get some powerline or moca adapters and use the existing working ethernet ports to get ethernet to the other locations.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
OP needs to find out whether phone and/or ethernet wall jacks are installed in each room. phone jack are 4/6 pins and ethernet port are 8 pins.

If there is ethernet wall jack and it's connected in each room, OP can just buy wifi extender I posted above or any other brand. Or buy any cheap router and run them in AP mode. Or UBNT AP.

If it's not connected, OP definitely need to find a local pro to do the proper wiring.

Yea, he needs to verify the wall jacks in each room for sure. From what I can tell in the pictures:

- 6 blue ethernets, likely go out to the rooms
- 4 white ethernets, likely go to the wall plate behind his ATT device
- 1 Fiber drop, with ethernet drop fed back to ATT device

If OP wants to make all this wired, he will definitely need to verify everything ahead of time. Because of the limit to 4 ports at the ATT device, he'll need to consider a switch in the attic (if there's power for it). Or, he can consider one of the other options being suggested.

Reactions: pcslookout

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Yea, he needs to verify the wall jacks in each room for sure. From what I can tell in the pictures:

- 6 blue ethernets, likely go out to the rooms
- 4 white ethernets, likely go to the wall plate behind his ATT device
- 1 Fiber drop, with ethernet drop fed back to ATT device

If OP wants to make all this wired, he will definitely need to verify everything ahead of time. Because of the limit to 4 ports at the ATT device, he'll need to consider a switch in the attic (if there's power for it). Or, he can consider one of the other options being suggested.

Ok.