• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Best way to get reliable wifi on PC?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I just broke my USB wifi adapter, and need something to replace it. While I could just get another USB adapter, I'm wondering if there's a better option...like I've heard of people using routers as receivers (but I know zero about networking). I do need an external unit so I can move the antenna around for best reception (I have extension cords for USB adapters).

Oh and I'm on Win 10 64bit...that seems to be an issue with many older WiFi units (like my backup WiFi).

I was using a TP-Link N150 unit with an antenna, and while it "worked" it had frequent drop outs, required frequent fiddling for good signal, and at best got like 25mbps.

I actually had no complaints as long as I was getting the 25mbps and not dropping out. I know the internet here is 30mbps (achieved on other devices), so this time I'd like to at least hit that reliably if I can. I think the main issue with the TP-Link (and my previous USB adapter) was heat buildup. The chips inside these things get stupid hot and there's no vents or cooling so they seem to overheat and crash, then cool off and reconnect. So if I'm going to get another USB adapter, I want one that doesn't overheat (a giant heatsink wouldn't bother me).

I can also get an Asus AC68U around $60, and I figure that's the high end of what I want to spend.
https://www.tanga.com/deals/4077f99bbcb8/asus-tm-ac1900-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router?product_list_type=event_sale&product_list_value=category

I don't know what my other options are yet, but I need something quick. I can only borrow this internet for a few days so I need to get something ordered before I get kicked out. Hopefully ATOT can multiply my research efforts to get me the most reliable, best bang for the buck option, and hopefully maintain my maximum possible internet speed of 30mbps (3.75MB/s).

Thanks.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
If you have an old router that accepts third party firmware you can turn it into an access point. Might be able to use gear you already have.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Thanks for the input, but this time I think I beat you guys to the punch.
I found and actually just ordered an Intel WiFi adapter like JackMDS suggested.
Except I got it with the new 8260 card, and paid $36 for it (got the last one).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HF8K0O6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wasn't originally looking for an internal card, but in my research I just happened into some with external antenna...so I started looking more into those options. It actually seemed like a decent choice, as long as I can keep the antenna from the massive interference at the back of the PC. An internal card keeps a USB port free and can be actively cooled by the case fans. In my experience Intel seems to make reliable network chips, so I just went for it before consulting you guys.

Funny thing is, not even a month ago I finally broke down my old routers and harvested them for parts. It was a Linksys WRT54GL and a matching switch.
Though, was that 54mbps bidirectional? As in you could only get a max ~27mbps down, and actual of like 20mbps? That's why I finally broke it down, wireless G seemed much to out of date at this point. Though it would have at least gotten me basic functionality until I could have replaced it. Instead I'm borrowing some wired internet. Though I might of need to anyway, to ask about setting up the WiFi router as a receiver. Oh well...

Thanks again though, I always appreciate Ananadtech input...even though I jumped the gun this time.

ASK THE COMMUNITY