Best way to get MP3 support into my car - iPod (or Zen) w/ FM adapor, or, mp3 cd changer w/ FM Modulator

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Which would you do....

Take an iPod or a Creative Zen player and get an FM adaptor to play it through the radio or get an MP3 changer and hook it up to the antenna input of the stereo? No tape player so that rules out a tape adaptor.

Replacing the in dash head unit is NOT an option so dont suggest it..

Any other ways besides doing one of those?

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
You can install an fm modulator and use it for whatever you want. MP3's, dvd, etc..

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: KokomoGST
I'm guessing your in-dash doesn't have an auxiliary input? :(

Nope.

It's an in-dash Chevy one and I cant remove it because it controls other things then just the radio. So yeah, thats out of the question.

You can install an fm modulator and use it for whatever you want. MP3's, dvd, etc..

Any good info on buying these? Are they universal in their fit, and how do things get plugged into them? Or do you mean the FM adaptors that just broadcast an FM signal over the air that the radio picks up?

I had a JVC mp3 head unit in my old car but I cant put it into this new one.. I got so used to the mp3/cdrw support that its hard to just have the default one now..

Flashram

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
I'm not a big fan of fm modulators but it doesn't sound like you really have many options without an aux input.

Just curious, why won't you consider replacing the HU?

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
The HU probably controls turn signals, lights, keyless entry, etc. It can be removed but it has to be mounted in the trunk, etc. so everything will still work.

LordJezo

Banned
May 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Paulson
What year chevy? And car or truck?

Impala LS, 2003.

The HU probably controls turn signals, lights, keyless entry, etc. It can be removed but it has to be mounted in the trunk, etc. so everything will still work.

Can it really be removed like that?!?! That would solve all of my problems since I already have a head unit sitting around that does what I want.