Question Best way to get a Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB "Shorty" card with 6-pin PCI-E working in Dell Optiplex 3020 with Haswell i5

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I haven't opened the PC up yet, but I bought a refurb MT (mini-tower) Dell Optiplex 3020 with a Haswell i5 CPU in it, as well as a factory-refurb Gigabyte "Shorty" GTX 1060 3GB with a single 6-pin power connector. The stock PSU, has that proprietary Dell 8-pin connector, in place of the ATX 24-pin connector. I'm pretty-sure that the stock PSU doesn't have a 6-pin PCI-E connector on it. Not sure if it has any spare molex or SATA power connectors.

I have several ways to go about this:
1) I purchased an ATX 24-pin to proprietary Dell 8-pin harness, use that to replace the main PSU with a newer, bigger, ATX PSU
2) I purchased several dual-molex to dual 6+2-pin PCI-E power harnesses
3) I have on order, several dual-SATA to single 6+2-pin PCI-E harnesses.

So, I'm thinking, the most viable method is going to be #1 or #3. #3 only if there are TWO spare cables with SATA power on them, although I might want to add a SATA SSD to the mix too.

So, that leaves #1, which seems like the best solution overall, because that means that I'll have enough PCI-E and SATA power connectors for everything. (Thinking of a Rosewill Glacier 600W semi-mod. PSU that I already have.)

My ultimate goal is to turn this Haswell i5 Dell Optiplex 3020 MT into a viable gaming rig. Will put in 8GB or 16GB of DDR3, a decent-sized SATA SSD for a boot drive, and then use the HDD or replace with a larger HDD for game storage, and then adding the video card, preferably with the ATX PSU connector harness.

Last edited: