Best way to disable internet access on a Windows XP Home machine?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by NathanBWF, Nov 21, 2005.

1. NathanBWF

NathanBWF Golden Member

We have a few night shift employees who are abusing their internet privileges. It's a small workgroup network, all running XP Home. They don't need internet access to do their job, however they still need to be able to telnet across the VPN connection to connect to the UNIX server to be able to work. Ideas on the best way to go about doing this? Other employees still need to have internet access at night, it's only on a couple of PC's that I need to disable it...

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - disable internet access Forum Date
    How do I disable the internet for a user account Operating Systems Dec 17, 2009
    Internet Explorer is currently running with add-ons disabled... Operating Systems Nov 20, 2009
    Internet Explorer is currently running with add-ons disabled Operating Systems Aug 20, 2009
    No internet or network connections - what services can be disabled? Operating Systems Oct 18, 2004
    anyway to disable using IE but i can still acess the internet? Operating Systems Aug 25, 2004

3. Brazen

Brazen Diamond Member

We use Group Policy to set a proxy for IE that doesn't exist and disable the Connections page, so they can't remove the proxy setting.

4. nweaver

nweaver Diamond Member

:thumbsup:

if possible, not sure with home. otherwise, if they arn't too savvy, manually put the proxy into IE's settings..

option 2: remove the default gateway, and add a single static route to get access to the unix machine.

5. Fike

Fike Senior member

block port 80 and 8080 at the router. Any cheap home router can do that. that will block all http communications.

fike

6. NathanBWF

NathanBWF Golden Member

Right, but then everyone is screwed. We just want to disable a couple of PCs, not everyones.

7. NathanBWF

NathanBWF Golden Member

This won't work being as how it's Windows XP home, and not in a client/server environment.

The static route thing might work...I'll need to check into it more.

Thanks for the replies!

8. Fike

Fike Senior member

then it gets a bit more complicated, but you should be able to setup a LAN group and only block those ports for the group. Some routers will let you set permissions by MAC address too.

fike

9. Malak

Malak Lifer

If I'm not mistaken, it is still legal to fire people for being bad employees.

10. Brazen

Brazen Diamond Member

Then I agree that Option 2 would be ok, and easy. Or to set up something they can not change, I give you:

Option3: set up a hosts file that has correct entries for the servers and then direct everything else to 127.0.0.1. The only thing I do not know though is it possible to use a wildcard for the hostname? eg:
    ?