Best way to configure BOINC for an i3 CPU?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I am running WCG on the CPU (4 threads), and Einstein@Home on the GPU (7790).
OS is Win8. 8GB RAM.

The problem seems to be, the GPU is barely (1-3%) utilized, I'm guessing because the CPU is being starved, because it only has 2 cores running 5 threads. I would like to run only two CPU tasks on the CPU, and leave the hyperthreads free.

How can I configure BOINC to recognize the i3 as a dual-core CPU?

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
In BOINC Manager click "Tools" and then "Computing preferences..."

In the dialog that opens, select the "processor usage" tab.

Near the bottom, in the "...use at most ____ % of the processors" box, change to "50%".

But I would recommend changing it to 75% because Einstein@Home only needs less than one half of one thread.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
How can I configure BOINC to recognize the i3 as a dual-core CPU?
there is in fact a way to force BOINC to recognize your actual 2C/4T CPU as a 2C/2T CPU, and that would be by using a cc_config.xml file in your BOINC data directory and setting the <ncpus>N</ncpus>option flag. but setting N = 2 would limit BOINC to using only 2 of your CPU's 4 threads, and more than likely would result in low GPU utilization again.

GLeeM's suggestion actually shows you exactly how to achieve what you want to achieve. the processor usage setting in the BOINC manager only applies to CPU tasks, so if you set processor usage to 75% on a machine with a 4-thread CPU, it'll only run CPU tasks on 3 threads, leaving the 4th free to handle the GPU task(s).