Best way to clean an LCD?

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I just got done using some windex and there are tons of streaks. Streaks that I wouldn't have gotten on glass which leads me to believe that there is a special alternative for LCD screens. What is it?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
A solution of 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts water, I think. Something like that.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Depends on the USER's MANUAL, some LCDs have special coatings that would need special cares. RTFM!

Hav0k99

Platinum Member
May 10, 2002
micro cloth is dust only
otherwise google for a solution to use to clean

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Uh... windex is for glass only, it destroys the surface of LCDs. That being said, all i use is a sock and water which seems ok so far

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Try and use distilled water, a 50/50 solution of that and Isopropyl alcohol. Most of the store solutions are 30% distilled watter anyhow so take that into account. Anything over 50/50 will tend to streak still.

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
okay, paper towels are bad, right? so its good to use cotton or some kind of cloth i assume.

now if you use water, you might have to press harder to get spots off. and when you press on an lcd it gets all colorful. that isnt good is it.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
If water doesn't work, you can buy stuff at OfficeMax type places that's for cleaning laptop screens. Don't know what's in it but it's formulated to not take off the coating and such.

But Windex is very bad for LCDs.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: KrillBee
okay, paper towels are bad, right? so its good to use cotton or some kind of cloth i assume.

now if you use water, you might have to press harder to get spots off. and when you press on an lcd it gets all colorful. that isnt good is it.

What kind of spots do you have on your LCD that require more than a slight rub to get rid of???

:shocked:

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
Originally posted by: QED
Originally posted by: KrillBee

What kind of spots do you have on your LCD that require more than a slight rub to get rid of???

:shocked:

finger prints that are probably 2 years old?

actually my lcd isnt that bad compared to some. Some LCDs look like the a window on a kindergarten bus.

when i worked at a college, i was sort of put in charge of loaner laptop maintenance. thankfully i only dealt with hardware though, another guy did the cleaning :) but sadly he used windex for a like a month, before someone snapped some sense into him, lol. Then he used paper towels and water.

geez, paper towels cant be good for them either.

Dritnul

Jan 9, 2006
almost ever big chain store wally-world target etc. sell some sort of LCD cleaner whether you trust it to work or not is up to you but i think whoever said RTFM is QFT