Best way to build several duplicate Windows boxes?

swechsler

Sep 4, 2018
I'm rebuilding a bunch of Dell Optiplex 9020 desktops (2014 vintage). All are identical, hardware-wise, and I'd like the configuration to be the same for all. They'll be running Windows 7 Pro, and I used an original Dell install image to build the first one.There's no licensed software other than Windows itself.

What would be the easiest way to copy this build from the first machine to the rest? Will I have to relicense each machine after installation (I do have keys for all of them)? I wasn't prompted to enter the license key when I installed the first one, and it shows as licensed and activated in Control Panel->System.

Thanks in advance!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If they are all the same and you have a Dell Windows DVD, you should be able to image each off the original, up to any other software that requires licenses per install. A key is not required on a Dell machine with a Dell Windows installer if that era.

swechsler

Sep 4, 2018
I should have specified - I'll be setting these up to run Windows Media Center so there's a certain amount of customization that needs to be done - create users, install drivers for network TV tuner, mount a shared drive to play videos, etc. I want them all to be the same. I already know I can install them all off a single install CD, what I want to avoid is having to configure each separately. Afterwards I'd like to just set the IP address and the machine name for each, and hopefully it will be complete.

I know there are lots of cloning tools (such as Clonezilla) that can handle this, but I'm wondering if that's the best method.