best video editing hardware/software?

Ryarizamonkey

Nov 28, 2002
i want to be able to edit video on my computer by having a vcr hooked up to my computer. I also need editing software that has lots of features and special effects. any sugestions???? Thanks in advance for ure help.

Mikki

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2002
Premiere and AfterEffects without a doubt, very powerful tools, and very expensive...:Q

jarsoffart

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2002
I read somewhere that Apple Final Cut Pro was good, but I don't use an Apple or do any video editting.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
You can get the usual hundreds of extra plugins for premier so you have lot's of special effects. It can be a bit tricky to get into but once you are in there, there are loads of options, formats and features....it supports coding o files with various codecs including DivX.

I used a device called a Pinnacle LINX yesterday and found it to be excellent. On one end you have a small connector box with coaxial audio connectors (red/white left & right) and S-Video connector...you can pick up a cable that will convert a scart output into these 3 outputs on most good audiovisual places. On the other end it has a USB 1.1 connector.

It was really easy to setup and it appears as a device similar to a webcam....you can then go ahead and capture from your video, digital decoder box or anything with S-Video or a SCART. It comes with Pinnacle Studio SE 7 which has some basic but good features to get you going. The quality was better than my old Geforce2 MX VIVO.

Corm

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
im pretty sure on the PC side its premiere. if i wasnt so busy with school i'd be playing with my mini dv cam and figuring it out. i've seen it in action and its pretty great.

people do say that final cut pro might actually be a reason to buy a mac since supposedly its that easy to use. It may also be the ONLY real reason to buy a mac.

Pauli

Oct 14, 1999
For video editing, I am using Pinnacle Studio 7, and I am happy with it so far. Version 8 is now out and I hear that is better, but I haven't gotten it yet. I'm pretty much of a newbie, though.

As far as hardware, you'll need some kind of "Video In" board or "All-in-Wonder" type of video card. There are many, many choices here. Personally, I am using a PCI ATI TV Wonder card and it suits my needs with Windows 2000. I don't have any hardware problems with it at all, but many others who are using WinXP say that it doesn't work correctly on this OS. Many people on this forum are bagging on ATI about the lack of support for this card. In any case, it's nice to have a TV Tuner with the card as well, because I can tape TV shows directly to my computer.

Spicedaddy

Platinum Member
Apr 18, 2002
I've used a few, and I like Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video 3 the best. (here)

For the hardware, it depends on how much $$ you want to spend. The cheapest is just to get a PCI TV tuner with S-video input. If you can afford it, the Pinnacle DV500 DVD or Matrox RT.X10 (comes with Premiere) are good products.