Best video card for under $100?

mricks86

Mar 26, 2001
I need a halfway decent video card for my kids' system that can run children's games and still look ok. I don't want to spend more than $100 and I understand for that price it won't be anything great, but I also don't want to end up with a total hunk of crap. I just need something that can get the job done for my kids. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: BrokenArrow
AGP

or

PCI-E

either should be good.

id agree

though you may be able to pick up something more powerful like a 9700pro or something in the FS/FT forum

or something like the Geforce 6200 would be a good card, they come in at well under $100 and if your on AGP you can get a 128mb version with 128bit bus

beware of the PCI-E 6200's mind, these utilize turbo cache which basically mixes a small amount of onboard memory on the card itself, and then uses some of your system ram also

AGP

thats a refurb though

what types of games are they using?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: mricks86
I need a halfway decent video card for my kids' system that can run children's games and still look ok. I don't want to spend more than $100 and I understand for that price it won't be anything great, but I also don't want to end up with a total hunk of crap. I just need something that can get the job done for my kids. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unless they're playing "First Person Shooters", you won't have much trouble finding something that'll work well.

Also take into account the monitor size/resolution. The smaller the monitor (thus lower the rez) the less "muscle" you'll need in the card.

I've got a 9 yr old who plays a lot, but he doesn't usually play FPS games. So a wimpy card works just fine for him.

BTW: 256MB of vid ram on a 9600 class card is a waste IMHO.

Might wanna list the games they'll be playing and the CPU/ram of the system for better tips on what card to get or system improvements.

Fern

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You can buy a basic 6600 for less than $100 IIRC, or close to it at least.

OR you can buy a used card from FS/FT like a 9800Pro if you are lucky to get one under $100.

fibes

Jul 19, 2003
If it's just going to be used for CHILDREN'Svideo games, why spend even close to $100.00. Here is a card that is more than adequate for what you need. No need to break the bank.$48.49. My friend has this card, and the card can run Grand Theft Auto-Vice City smoothly @ 10x7 resolution.