Best video card for Linux?

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
I have an OEM HP Linux workstation. I like to put the computer in hibernate when I'm not on it. The problem is the video card doesn't wake up from hibernate properly. Someone suggested it was a driver issue.

What is a video card that Linux drivers like, and that would work smoothly with Ubuntu 11? I'm looking for something basic and inexpensive. Any suggestions?

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
I've used both nVidia and AMD/ATI cards with Linux and both have been fine for basic operations. For more advance graphical usage, nVidia makes better Linux drivers.

Beyond that, its only a matter of your budget.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Hell i remember when 8.04 ubuntu came out i was running beryl and the whole 3d desktop with all its bells and whistles on a 6200 le without a single issue.

See them dirt cheap too used but i would think any basic gpu would do the job i never tried a amd gpu with ubuntu but i never encountered a issue with the 6200 le.

Last edited:

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
I've used both nVidia and AMD/ATI cards with Linux and both have been fine for basic operations. For more advance graphical usage, nVidia makes better Linux drivers.

Beyond that, its only a matter of your budget.

So basically, the major aftermarket gpus is where it's at? The card I have atm is Asus. Maybe that's why.