Best video card for HTPC (video quality, passive cooling, low profile NOT required)

myweb

Oct 24, 2013
Hello,

I saw article http://www.anandtech.com/show/5969/zotac-geforce-gt-640-review-/7 that stated that Nvidia GT640 is the best video card for HTPC. But I would like to create HTPC virtual PC based and Nvidia card is not working with VGA Passthrough (for example ATI HD 7750 - works very well) that is why I am looking for best HTPC ATI video card.
It is required:
  • great video quality
  • passive cooling
It is not required:
  • low profile, since real pc will be installed in separated room (wardrobe/dressing room)
Could you please propose what video cards are met the requirements?

Thank you in advance!

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Have you looked at the new Oland-based R7-250/240? For the price/performance they look like very good HTPC cards.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
HD6650 or HD6570 (a plus if you're using an APU) or GT210. I was actually looking at a low profile card myself. Most of them has a fan but a few has the passive heatsink, so you're going to have to look through each of them.

You don't need a super high end card, just one that's capable of HDCP/1080p playback, etc.

Last edited:

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Thank you, I have that one, but it looks like the card has some issue with playing video: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5541/amd-radeon-hd-7750-radeon-hd-7770-ghz-edition-review/6

Have you experienced any of those issues yourself?
Because I've been happily using AMD cards (3850, 5450, 6670, 7770 and 7950) on all my computers - most of which are tasked to perform HTPC duties as well! - without ever noticing the kind of chroma problems described in the link you posted.

I think you're attaching too much importance to the whole "bug".

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
I have the HIS iSilence 7750 and use it mostly for HTPC duties, and just the occasional game. It's totally silent (no coil whine I can hear) and stays relatively cool under a decent gaming load in a case with good venting and only 1 case fan. The previous 6xxx series cards are cheaper and will play current 1080p/HDaudio content just as well and be cheaper, but the 7750 has considerably more power for light gaming or other GPU assisted apps, and has at least some 4K support. It doesn't happen often, but SOME combinations of AVRs and TVs do have issues with AMD cards and have HDMI handshake issues. I had some trouble, but 13.6 has worked just fine.

felang

Feb 17, 2007
HD5450 or HD6450, strictly for HTPC are more than enough are silent (passive cooling versions).

myweb

Oct 24, 2013
Let me please extend requirements:
4k ready is nice to have
Hardware video decoding should work under linux

I understand that most of all video cards could play 1080p, but question is quality of picture on monitor/tv, for example Screen tearing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing)...

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
The most interesting card in low cost segments
is undoubtly the 260X , dont know how it would
do in a HTPC but given its features it s likely the
best future proofed offering.

myweb

Oct 24, 2013
Have you looked at the new Oland-based R7-250/240? For the price/performance they look like very good HTPC cards.

looks good, but I can not find any review/tests and this card is not available for order in my country. I would appreciate if you could share tests/reviews if any and propose internet shop with international delivery?

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
looks good, but I can not find any review/tests and this card is not available for order in my country. I would appreciate if you could share tests/reviews if any and propose internet shop with international delivery?

This was the only test I could find:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...er-1gb-graphics-card-review-introduction.html

Its mostly gaming focused. Performance is HD7750 level and it has a better video decoder. Unfortunately not too many sites are interested in reviewing low-end hardware. A shame really.

About where to shop for them, they're just released. I'd expect some time to pass before they're available everywhere. Right now amazon.com is your best bet for international shipping. Other suggestions will depend on where you are... ;)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I went overkill and put Accelero S1s on my Radeon HD 7790s.