Best travel lens for Canon 7D?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cattykit

Nov 3, 2009
Tamron 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 VC PZD.

This lens seems to have it all: 18-270mm range, VC, PZD for only $650 and it's light.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Can afford to travel the world but not afford another lens?
Weight is much more important than cost.

Last time I did 3 months in SE Asia jungle/trekking and all with almost 30 lbs of camera gears (2 35mm bodies & 7 lenses, 1 6x6 med body & 3 lenses, 2 camera bags, 1 camera case, and a tripod). At the end of the trip I ended up with just a 35mm body ++ 50mm prime lens for 2 weeks trekking in northern Thailand rain forest, river rafting, and 4 days on elephants back (and the rest of the gears was locked up in the hotel vault).

I also did a Belize & Mexico trip for 5 weeks with just a Yashica PS (fixed focal lenght Contax/Zeiss lens) and it wasn't bad.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to Central America for 2 weeks and only arm with the Canon PS S95 (35mm equivalent is 28~105mm).

As said by many posters, any thing in the range or 28~70mm would be adequate ++ a 50mm prime lens, or 24~135mm would be even better ++ 50mm prime. There will be times that you want to use an ultra wide lens but, it is not critical thanks to stitch mode in camera or Photoshop.

Last edited:

patrick409

Aug 13, 2003
Hey guys, what about the Sigma 10-20mm?

I have the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 version of this lens, and it's usually my must-have lens when I go on vacation abroad. I like it because it's wide enough to cover most scenes, and at 20mm it's good enough for taking pictures of people I'm traveling with without distorting things too much. The aperture speed is a bit slow though. Sigma has a new 10-20 that's f3.5 across the range which might be more attractive.

Like everyone else has already said, it kinda depends on where you're going and what you want to take pictures of.

Personally I want to be as light as possible when I travel abroad. I usually only bring my 7D, sigma 10-20, and 35mm f2. I know I lose the long end, but in my personal experience I haven't needed it too much. I also bring a p&s so I'll use that if things fall outside of my range. If I know I'll won't be taking too many landscapes, I'll bring the 24-105L instead of the 10-20.

I kinda want to get the 15-85 though.