best time to plant grass seed?

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
birds love grass seed and sprouts. buy sod instead.
Plant after your last frost has passed. make sure the soil is ready brfore planting.
Get some cats to guard the seeds.

biffbacon

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2003
but i dont really want sod b/c i already have a full lawn, i just want it to be fuller, so i was planning on throwing some seed out. do i have to wait till after the last frost for that?

You wanna get the thatch out. For small areas a good steel garden rake and some manual labor will do. Get a lawn tractor attatchment for a larger area. Thatching gets all the dead stuff up so more seed will hit dirt and root.

Next arreate (sp?). Basically put a bunch of small holes in the ground. Then overseed.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Be like my dad - put down seed, then spend the next two weeks staring at the lawn and chasing away birds. My dad really needs to get out more.

NetGuySC

Golden Member
Nov 19, 1999
when I planted grass 0seeds I had more problems with Fire Ants than I did with the birds. Fire ant nest were fileed with seeds

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
The best time to overseed is early fall, second best time is spring.

Just make sure if you do overseed in the spring you use a straight fertilizer, not something like an "anti-crabgrass" fertilizer as it contains chemicals that will prevent crabgrass seeds and your grass seed from germinating.