Best time to buy a car

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Looking to purchase a used car for around $5000. Nothing fancy but I'm looking for either a Mazda 626 or Toyota camry.
I am hoping to save some money by July for one, but looking online now and I've found 1996-1998 models for around $4k-$6k.
Obviously less mileage would cost more. When's the perfect time when dealers lower their prices?

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Hard to say on used cars. I just keep an eye out on all local publications like PennySaver or the used car section of a local paper for good prices.

Apr 5, 2000
For new cars, around August/September, when most of the new year models go on sale and the previous years are cut in price. I figure it applies to used cars too in a certain way, since a lot of people would be trading in their old(er) cars in for a new model.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Yep, I agree with him on that. If you must buy during the rest of the year, buy during the last 2-3 days of the month. The salesman are way more willing to work with you and make deals because they want to get their quota and their commissions.

Feb 24, 2001
My old man (who buys several cars a year) has always said the last few days of the month are best. Said it's something to do with the way they run their month end numbers. They want to go ahead and get them pushed through and work to get them sold.

Said end of the year is even better. Yearly numbers are having to be finished, and big same year discounts (like on an 02 when 03 is just around the corner). Dunno if he's right, but he always gets good deals :)