Best time of year to apply for IT jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
When would one be most likely to obtain multiple job offers, after applying. I read November/December is the worst.

I'm looking towards networking/server management. I'd prefer 6+ month contracts.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
For experienced positions, I would imagine nov-dec to be the best, most companies look to fill headcount after the new year when they get their new budget. Entry level obviously fills spring-summer.

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
For experienced positions, I would imagine nov-dec to be the best, most companies look to fill headcount after the new year when they get their new budget. Entry level obviously fills spring-summer.

Yeah, due to spring being a common time for graduation, recruiters will keep their open for entry level summer jobs.

I feel my current work experience will show I have work ethic to finally get some sort of "CCNA entry level" job.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
when there is an opening.

This, probably. I am not in IT but I have frequently found work in the 'off-season' and also struck out during the 'hiring season' (for mechanics, it's summer).

If you think you want to change jobs...that's probably the time to start looking. You will lose nothing, and possibly gain opportunities that might not be there if you wait until you feel everyone is at their peak of yearly hiring.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
i have started all of my jobs in august

not really sure if this is a coincidence, or something more sinister

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Apply any time. I work at a college and we are always doing upgrades and new equipment server/database/applications for all sorts of things. I have been getting ready for a new package were are installing on a server for processing transcripts. The system is starting to be worked on around the 6th of Jan after Christmas. Colleges and Universities tend to do a lot of database related things and have very few actual programmers.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
December might not be the best time, just like the summer months might not be, in that there's usually quite a few people on vacation. If HR is on vacation your application might not get processed anytime soon, if the person who has to manage you is on vacation HR can pass on the application but it still won't get an OK until that person is back and tells them to invite you.

On the other hand many of the possible applicants might be on vacation too. If you wait for them to be back you'll not end up at the top of the pile probably, so as several already suggested I'd apply whenever you look for a job. Especially if you don't have a job now it's easier to say 'I was looking for a job' when asked what you did when you weren't working than 'I was waiting for the perfect time to apply, that's why I didn't do anything for half a year!'.

Nov 8, 2012
The best time time to apply for jobs is when the market is desperate. And right now the market is starting to get VERY desperate for top talent. They don't want fresh out of college kids though is the problem.

GobBluth

Sep 18, 2012
Near the end of the fiscal year, I'd say. They spent a whole year agonizing over their budget and need to make cuts. Fire someone, new year rolls around, "Oh shit, we need help" Hire someone.

Seen it happen 1000 times.

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
Depends on the industry.

Where I work Jan-Feb, as they hire on new people to fill the spots they cleared in Nov-Dec to make the books look good. (Otherwise known as taking this years trash out.)

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
The problem with Fresh out of college people is they cant manage Servers and Networks.

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
March through May seems to be the worst.

July through September, seems to be the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.