Best tablet games

Status
Not open for further replies.

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
I guess this goes in this forum...

I love puttering around on my iPad. What are some good games everyone enjoys? Kingdom Rush is my current fav but I've just completed each level.

Suggestions?

Lumathix

Golden Member
Mar 16, 2004
I guess this goes in this forum...

I love puttering around on my iPad. What are some good games everyone enjoys? Kingdom Rush is my current fav but I've just completed each level.

Suggestions?

Don't worry about Barfo, he's a douche.
I'd suggest posting this question in "All Things Apple", and see if they're more helpful there. Have fun dude.

Rambusted

Feb 7, 2012
I have to agree with barfo on this. Tablets are consoles but worse, between ipods ipads and traditional consoles were lucky any real pc games get made at all.

RedString

Feb 24, 2011
Unless you're using an iPad and go to All Things Apple - I wouldn't bother with the douchey-anti-tablet mentality you'll find around here. You would be better off going to a tablet forum.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
Barfo is right though he could have said it a nicer way. This goes under the Mobile Devices/gadgets sub forum or the All things Apple sub forum.

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
Went for the game theme rather than the device. Thanks to the non-douches for pointing me the correct direction.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It will probably be a lot easier if you give an idea of what games you like.

One thing to keep in mind, if you've ever played a game on your phone and thought, "this would be so much better with a bigger screen", then try that. :p Personally, I like playing things like RPGs on my tablet over my phone. Also, some puzzle games are a lot better on my iPad. I have larger hands, so when I try to play Puzzlejuice on my phone... it's a real pain in the ass trying to select letters and still control the descending blocks.

What I typically do is keep an eye on IGN's Wireless Section. They usually post an App Store Update about every weekday, and they include price drops (usually temporary) as well as free games. They usually hit the highlights, but they do sometimes miss a game or two or ignore that the iPad version may be on sale (they'll only list the iPhone version).

Generator

Mar 4, 2005
Cut the Rope and Osmos are great games. Flight Control is another good game, but they all share something I haven't seen in a while. Difficulty. There are a few levels that I've been stuck on. I usually get distracted by something else after a dozen attempts. Now that I think about it I don't think I've beaten any of these games...

World of Goo on the PC is great so is Limbo, I'm sure they could be just as good on a tablet.

Oct 20, 2005
Tablet/phone games are fun, but a few things bug me for extended periods of play time.

Yes, touch screen is nice/cool for some games, but the main issues are always present:

1) your hand/fingers block your screen/sight/view

2) no physical feel for the buttons (for like moving/jumping/attacking). Sometimes my character will stop running and die from being attacked b/c my thumb "slipped" off the on screen joystick and I didn't realize it.

3) Ergonomics - Since the tablet is kinda heavy, you lay it down and have to look down at it at an angle which hurts my neck after a while. Or if I want to hold it eye level, I have to put extra strain on my arms/wrists.

Having said all that, some fun games are:

-Where's my Water?
-Elf Defense
-Cut the Rope

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
2) no physical feel for the buttons (for like moving/jumping/attacking). Sometimes my character will stop running and die from being attacked b/c my thumb "slipped" off the on screen joystick and I didn't realize it.

This is really game dependent. A lot of developers have recently switched to position independent virtual joysticks. It becomes something along the lines of putting your finger anywhere on the left side of the screen becomes the left joystick and the right side is the right joystick. For some games with only one joystick being necessary, it allows you to use any side of the screen. Chaos Rings is an example of this. Infinity Field (Geometry Wars clone) is an example of the left/right split.

EDIT:

It's also possible to buy small joystick things for the devices. I have one called the Fling Joystick, and it works fairly well. I do have some issues at times with one side not sticking as well, and it's always the same side. Note that you can buy them from the Apple Store as well if one is close enough to you and you don't want to wait (that's where I got mine).

Last edited:

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
This is really game dependent. A lot of developers have recently switched to position independent virtual joysticks. It becomes something along the lines of putting your finger anywhere on the left side of the screen becomes the left joystick and the right side is the right joystick. For some games with only one joystick being necessary, it allows you to use any side of the screen. Chaos Rings is an example of this. Infinity Field (Geometry Wars clone) is an example of the left/right split.

I've seen this used with that new Air Superiority game on the iPad as well. Very neat, all devs that utilize virtual analog sticks should copy this feature immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.