Best Survivor Horror Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Guess you haven't heard there was a new patch released? No more DDfix necessary and a bunch of other fixes for modern hardware. This patch is so deep it has to have been released by one of the former developers.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140088

Nice. Anisotropic filtering now works, and AA is improved.

dump000.png

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
System Shock 2.

System Shock 2 was an awesome game. Problem is, it is quite dated by today's standards. And if the OP is looking for "Recent" Survival horror games, they may not see System Shock for what it really is.

I would however recommend Dead Space 1 (and 2). Creepy horror fun. All except the turret shooting scene.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Clive Barkers Undying was by far the scariest game I have played, though its old and outdated now

scariest game when I played it. The dragon cannon would also randomly hiss when its all quiet. Even your own fucking guns were out to scare you.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
scariest game when I played it. The dragon cannon would also randomly hiss when its all quiet. Even your own fucking guns were out to scare you.

The part with the mirror in the hallway actually freaked me out more than anything in any other game. Small effect, but did it's job!

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Hmmm how about The Suffering?

That game unnerved me a few times. Dead Space was an awesome SH, I really felt trapped and screwed playing that game, and it kept building as it went on. Didn't care for the second one as it didn't feel anywhere near the same. On the ship you really were trapped and it felt honest, the second made escaping a non-issue as suddenly we were about stopping evil.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I've also heard miasmata was decent. I'm about to play dead space 3 now. The first one was harder than all the others. You go through without looking for ammo every corner you will get screwed later.

Amnesia is another that comes to mind. Also not sure but I'm alive may be one too.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I've also heard miasmata was decent.

I'm playing through Miasmata right now. It's one of the purest survival horror games I've played in a long time, with emphasis on the "survival" part.

You slip into the role of a sick man, stranded on an island all by yourself. You are at the mercy of a large, hostile, heavily-forested environment while holding nothing but a crude map and a notebook.

You have to collect and research various plants to find a cure for your disease. The game becomes really creepy because of how ridiculously alone you are, armed with nothing fancier than a knife or a hatchet. You feel vulnerable all the time. It's the anti-Far Cry 3.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm playing through Miasmata right now. It's one of the purest survival horror games I've played in a long time, with emphasis on the "survival" part.

You slip into the role of a sick man, stranded on an island all by yourself. You are at the mercy of a large, hostile, heavily-forested environment while holding nothing but a crude map and a notebook.

You have to collect and research various plants to find a cure for your disease. The game becomes really creepy because of how ridiculously alone you are, armed with nothing fancier than a knife or a hatchet. You feel vulnerable all the time. It's the anti-Far Cry 3.

I watched a few YouTube videos. Looks like the navigation in that game is tough. You can easily get lost. It didn't look very interesting but I may give it a shot.

There was an old Xbox game fatal frame I believe that was just horror.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Already a bunch of good mentions. SS2 takes it for me. Condemned (the first one) was good, too.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
For some reason I just couldn't get into Cryostasis.. Didn't run as well as it should have on my system. I have an old 8800gt i might stick in some day as a dedicated physX card and give it another try.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Dead Space was an awesome SH, I really felt trapped and screwed playing that game, and it kept building as it went on. Didn't care for the second one as it didn't feel anywhere near the same. On the ship you really were trapped and it felt honest, the second made escaping a non-issue as suddenly we were about stopping evil.

Unlike DS1 which kept encounters reasonable, DS2 had unabashed, "You're gonna die," zones. Dead Space 2 had a twitch FPS enemy mechanic while not using a twitch FPS shoot mechanic. You couldn't take out necromorphs with headshots because taking off their heads wouldn't kill them, so in these zones you were swarmed with enemies from all directions that required multiple aim points each to take out, when the necros didn't give instant kill feedback letting you decisively know you're free to switch to those other targets.

DS2's stasis was pretty crappy, too. In DS1 you could use it to take an enemy out of the fight or use it to herd multiple enemies together for an ammo-conserving Line Gun single-mine massacre. In DS2 its use was pretty much just limited to the enemy right in front of you.