Best Survivor Horror Games

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have come to realize that, despite my affinity towards RPGs and strategy games, I have recently become a huge fan of the survivor horror genre. Recently I've been playing DayZ and STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl (w/ the Misery Mod). I am curious though what other games you all might recommend I check out.

Also, are there any new games in this genre on the horizon that look promising?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Amnesia, is probably the best recent one, and it is very good. There is a sequel coming out sometime soon as well.

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
Amnesia, is probably the best recent one, and it is very good. There is a sequel coming out sometime soon as well.

Ya that was a great game. Didn't know there is a sequel in the works! Too bad its so short though.

Madia

May 2, 2006
Dead Space 1 is the first game that comes to mind. The second Dead Space was also excellent but it's more action/horror than survival horror. Still, if you like the first it's worth the $5 to pick it up on sale.

I've heard good things about the indie game Lone Survivor but have never played it.

Resident Evil Revelations is getting ported to the PC (from the 3DS) later this year. It's not an action fest like 6 and attempted to back to the survival horror aspect of the originals.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
The other STALKER games are also good, especially COP, which is said to be the best of the three. Also FEAR 1, though it's an old game.

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
How about Doom III BFG? Anyone comment on how that's holding up after 8yrs or whatever it's been? That's probably about as scary as you get. OP might like that. I was actually thinking about picking it up again.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I remember condemned it was a great game. I played the first one on pc, tons of creepy in your face surprising moments.

I just finished dead space 1 and I am playing dead space 2 now. I definitely like the second one more because I think you get to do a lot more, it's more action based in terms of objectives.

I never really was a fan of games with aliens and monsters all over but it's pretty good. I think I'll also play the third.

jimrawr

Mar 4, 2003
Clive Barkers Undying was by far the scariest game I have played, though its old and outdated now

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
I liked Alan Wake.

But that is far from survival, you cannot run out of ammo and the difficulty is trivial even on hard.

I say that both System Shocks, Silent Hill 2 (the only one I've played), first Aliens vs Predator and Penumbra: Overture were great in keeping the player in constant stress about his own survival. My hands were sweating like in hell.