Best SSDs

MJose

Nov 13, 2015
Hello,

i am planning to replace my laptop's hard drive with SSD, but i am confused which one to prefer. Can anyone suggest me on this?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
It would be useful if you would specify size needed.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There's no "best", if there was everyone would buy only that one. All the top tier makers make good drives. A size and budget would be very helpful.

I own many brands from Samsung, Intel, Crucial, Corsair and all have been great. I prefer MLC based drives when I can get them cheap but the TLC drives from Crucial and Samsung have been good so far.

Brado78

Jan 26, 2015
I currently use a Sandisk Ultra II in my desktop and a Kingston in my laptop, The Sandisk I think is an excellent budget drive. good performance and really good duration.. I put this thing through hell for about 4 months :p

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Also, the specs of the laptop would be good to know, so we can be aware of any issues/bottlenecks.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
An ssd with asynchronous nand is a bottleneck Stay away from them....

Well, we know that async MLC NAND is slower than sync MLC NAND, which is slower than Toggle MLC NAND.

We also know that TLC NAND is generally slower to program (possibly not slower to read, but likely), than MLC.

So, is TLC NAND, used in many popular planar TLC NAND SSD drives, slower than Async MLC NAND used in older drives?

I have some VisionTek GoDrive SSDs, which use Async NAND (they are advertised as such), with the 2nd-Gen SandForce controller, and they actually perform quite well, even if their 4K QD32 read scores are fairly low (50MB/sec).

MJose

Nov 13, 2015
Well, we know that async MLC NAND is slower than sync MLC NAND, which is slower than Toggle MLC NAND.

We also know that TLC NAND is generally slower to program (possibly not slower to read, but likely), than MLC.

So, is TLC NAND, used in many popular planar TLC NAND SSD drives, slower than Async MLC NAND used in older drives?

I have some VisionTek GoDrive SSDs, which use Async NAND (they are advertised as such), with the 2nd-Gen SandForce controller, and they actually perform quite well, even if their 4K QD32 read scores are fairly low (50MB/sec).
i am not that techie to understand NAND terminologies...

MJose

Nov 13, 2015
I currently use a Sandisk Ultra II in my desktop and a Kingston in my laptop, The Sandisk I think is an excellent budget drive. good performance and really good duration.. I put this thing through hell for about 4 months :p
Some of my friends suggested me to go with SanDisk or Intel..

Namo

Sep 13, 2016
Some of my friends suggested me to go with SanDisk or Intel..

As I can see, you need 1 TB. Then go with the following (these are the best in serial order) -

1. Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
2. Sandisk Extreme Pro 1TB
3. Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
As I can see, you need 1 TB. Then go with the following (these are the best in serial order) -

1. Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
2. Sandisk Extreme Pro 1TB
3. Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

Good suggestions. I would stay away from Intel for 1TB drives as their really good stuff is enterprise class and very pricey and a bit overkill for a consumer's use.

Reactions: Namo