Best source for internet

trulfe

May 17, 2000
I have a cell phone and want to use that as my main phone line, but I need an internet source in my place. I am trying to get the best thing for internet service without having to orderland telephone line service .

What are my options? especially looking for high-speed such as cable, is this the only option?
Thanks

JimmyEatWorld

Platinum Member
Dec 12, 2000
it all depends on your area, research your local options, and then post it here, or tell us where you live and someone here might already know...

trulfe

May 17, 2000
I live in the bay area and havent yet checked if cable is available in the city I am going to be living in, but I was wondering if cable is my only option. Thanks

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
DSL Reports is a good place to start. I'd go with a cable modem if you can, the problem with dsl I've found is they ask for you to buy the modem and often charge you an activation charge (if you're lucky you'll get free installation if you do it yourself) and often there's an ISP fee on top of the regular service.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
You may also want to see if there is a line-of-sight wireless provider in your area as well.

It's not quite as common as cable, but it's worth a shot.

trulfe

May 17, 2000
I just checked and ATT cable is not available in my area, are there other cable companies to check out in the Bay Area?

MrHappyMonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2001
Originally posted by: N8Magic
You may also want to see if there is a line-of-sight wireless provider in your area as well.

It's not quite as common as cable, but it's worth a shot.

the ping is still 100+ on these types of systems. If gaming is not important, than there shouldn't be a problem.

trulfe

May 17, 2000
Now where would I find that? BTW my zip is 94014 if that would be of any help. Thanks