Best sound card

bigmen 2007

Mar 6, 2013
Hello all!!

I am going to buy a sound card, so I wonder which is the best card for logitech z5500 speakers?

My main purpose is gaming, music and movies.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

weez82

Jan 6, 2011
Look at creative and asus cards and get the one that has the features you need. Any reason why your onboard wont get the job done for you?

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I would go for X-Fi, last real sound card. Recon3D has been kind of meh product.
And don't buy into BS that onboard is as good as dedicated. Unless if you think that hissing of PC power supply on the headphone is a feature. You do have decent speakers ready to be used by a decent card.

Last edited:

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
Something you might not have considered yet (or maybe don't know about).

Best sound card is a free USB port!

USB out to an external USB Digital Audio Converter (USB DAC).

USB DACs come in all sorts of qualities and prices... from 30-50 bucks to thousands. Low end USB DAC with headphones/speakers plugged in is going to be way better than any internal sound card you're likely to put in there short of professional audio cards.

If you need to power external speakers (power as in actually provide more than a low level signal) then there are DACs with integrated Amplifiers as well.

Check them out!

colonelciller

Sep 29, 2012
actually I just looked up your speaker system and 5.1 might make it trickier to find a decent low priced USB DAC.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I've got that speaker system myself and have paired it with an asus xonar d2x using the toslink. Right now you might consider one the creative zx cards or an asus essence stx.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
Asus Xonar D2X via TOSLINK. I'd only choose the Asus Xonar Essence STX if you're outputting to headphones.

bigmen 2007

Mar 6, 2013
thanks for your answers, tbh I don't have any headphones, or intent to buy. The one from the first post, is it good, or I sould search for something else. I don't want to spend a fortune, on audio card. My budget is around 100 euros.

Also, will I see a huge difference from maximus v formula's on board card?

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
The Maximus V's formula's onboard sound is very competent for onboard sound and a card within your budget is not going to sound any better than what you have onboard.

weez82

Jan 6, 2011
Because I believe my on board sound card doesn't take full advantage of my speakers power.

How about this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-PC...NTUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364084153&sr=8-1

You already have very good onboard audio. If you're after better audio quality then you'll need to upgrade your speakers. I like having a dedicated sound card over onboard but only when it's needed. And In your case I believe it's not needed.

How are your speakers hooked up? And, why do you think your onboard audio is holding your speakers back? You experiencing any pops, or blips?

bigmen 2007

Mar 6, 2013
You already have very good onboard audio. If you're after better audio quality then you'll need to upgrade your speakers. I like having a dedicated sound card over onboard but only when it's needed. And In your case I believe it's not needed.

How are your speakers hooked up? And, why do you think your onboard audio is holding your speakers back? You experiencing any pops, or blips?

No, I don't have any issues with the on board audio. It's pretty good. Just wondered about, if I have a better quality by buying a dedicated sound card.

So I will not buy an extra one.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
onboard sound is currently as good as anything really. I agree you gain much more performance by upgrading your speakers instead of a dedicated sound card. amps can have a big effect too, but as far as the original starting signal processor the current onboard sound these days is very clean.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Use digital out (S/PDIF or Optical) from your motherboard, your z5500 has a built in decoder. This will yield near bit-perfect results, and you won't have to buy sound card.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Onboard sound doesn't even compare to a quality sound card with good speakers digital out or not.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Onboard sound doesn't even compare to a quality sound card with good speakers digital out or not.

You are incorrect, the DAC is on the speakers, not the onboard chip. A sound card would quite literally not change the resulting sound quality at all. [when using digital out]

Mannymal

Mar 24, 2010
I hope you have really high end speakers or headphone because otherwise most sound cards are a complete waste of money, for what you want to use it for.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007

false. onboard audio today has THD levels that compare to consumer home theater receivers when in analog mode. the signal is clean. how you amplify it and reproduce it makes MUCH more difference.

most speaker cones, even new ones, are pretty lame. you have to put money into the cones to get better sound. even most amplifiers can produce good clean sound, but they always cut costs on the speaker cones.

shingletingle

Jun 30, 2007
I've got that speaker system myself and have paired it with an asus xonar d2x using the toslink. Right now you might consider one the creative zx cards or an asus essence stx.

Why are you even bothering to use that soundcard if you are using the optical out? The DAC in the speaker system is doing the work now and your soundcard is going to waste. Not to mention that soundcard has a better DAC.