Question Best solution for large data writes; StoreMI or PrimoCache or else?

Congles

Nov 15, 2019
Hi All!

I've been lurking around the Caching discussions for months now and have finally moved country and put together a new system and need your advice guys!
So... here's my use case and what I have in my system and what I want to achieve.

---
Overview Of system
  • AMD 3900x
  • Gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard
  • 64gb of RAM in the system - most of the time only need 30-40gb of it, so there's room for RAM cache/disk
  • 1tb 960 Evo (system drive)
  • 4x 2TB conventional drives

What I'm trying to achieve

In a theoretical sense, I'm trying to maximize my read/writes for the large data I have to process. Typically my work means loading several files totalling about 200-1000mb, doing some processing to them, and then writing them back to the HDD as a single file at about 500-2000mb.
What I think i need is a RAM disk/cache (not sure which is best here) that is anywhere from 5gb-20gb and then use that as a write-back cache. I don't care too much if I lose power during the RAM writing the data over to permanent storage, I'll just redo that file. Possibly an NVME cache drive would also help.
---
What I used to have, which worked well but had limitations, was a RAID0 array of 12TB (4x4). This would give me a solid 500mb/s speeds. I then had that "mirror" itself to a NAS (I don't have a 10GbE NAS yet) and the NAS would take care of the data backup/safety as it was RAID5. With this workflow it was like having a local cache of the NAS files stored locally in an unsafe array (RAID0) but with 5x speeds (500mb/s).

I've tried StoreMI but it's limited to 2GB or 4GB with a license and doesn't seem to use the RamCache as a write back (only read cache from the looks).

Options I'm considering and need advice on:
  • Continue with RAID0 HDD array as described
  • RAID0 array + Nvme SSD Cache (is this possible?)
  • Use PrimoCache or similar and setup as write-back
  • Upgrade the NAS with a 10GbE model and forget about cache's etc
    • Honestly this upgrade is going happen anyway as I need more than a 4bay NAS now.

I really appreciate the advice you can all give in advance! I know this is a really long post but I hope I have described my situation well.
@BonzaiDuck is likely the perfect person to answer this but I appreciate if he's too busy at the moment!

AlexByrth

Sep 16, 2020
It's old but lets go for it!

Just use PrimoCache with 4GB or even more. Configure it to Enable defer-write with a reasonable amount (I use 120 sec, because I have a UPS).

• RAID0 is cumbersome, dangerous and slow when compared with PrimoCache,
  • NAS is slow compared to vanilla local storage and can't be cached strictu senso.

Attachments

• DiscMarkPrimoCache.jpg
    DiscMarkPrimoCache.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Annotation 2020-09-16 100629.jpg
    Annotation 2020-09-16 100629.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Annotation 2020-09-16 100816.jpg
    Annotation 2020-09-16 100816.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 5