Best software to make a DVD with chapters?

Jul 12, 2001
I have an old family video that needs to be transfered to DVD and I can capture it through a video card that I have and can capture in any format, right now I am capturing it into MPEG-II so i can make a DVD out of it, I was playing with it in windows media player and saw i can create trasitions and breaks in scenes, but was unsure how to save this so that when i burn it onto a DVD those could be read as chapters

also trying to figure out how to make a menus etc... if possible. Anyone know free (or very cheap) software that can do it?

sep

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
I'm in the process of transferring my Home Video Collection (36 VHS, 32 8MM & 5 DV ? 1990 to 1995) to DVD. Next chance I get I'll write it up on my website and post a link about my quest :Q for now here is what I'm using.

I?ve played with Windows Movie Maker , Pinnacle Studio 9 & Sonic MyDVD Deluxe. Movie Maker is nice, but for some reason it's not DVD Authoring. Microsoft recommends using MM to capture and organize your videos and then fire up Sonic?s MyDVD to burn them. Article. Funny thing is that Microsoft?s new Microsoft Digital Image Suite PLUS has Studio 10 Plus in it. I used Studio 9, but didn't like it as much as MyDVD. The interface in MyDVD is very easy to use and understand. Chapters can be automatically found and inserted, few or a lot, manually at breaks, etc. You also have the choice to have a chapter menu created from your chapters. PC Magazine even rated it best for the home user. No it?s not Adobe Premiere used to create some awesome DVD's, but for the home use I like it.

From my experience with the above products, I recommend Sonic MyDVD Deluxe. However the new Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus looks like I'll need to review it.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.
-JC